Photo entry!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Madurai
January 1st 2007
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Firstly, I've uploaded a selection of photos from the last few weeks, as I have finally found a decent computer! (Hurrah!)

We visited Auroville from Pondicherry - it was founded in the memory of Sri Aurobindo Gose (an Indian philosopher who was also part of the Independance movement - I'll dig out a uni essay for anyone who wants to know more...) and strives to be a universal city -

"Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity."

very interesting place to visit, though any such place tends to bring out a certain amount of cynicism (how come in 20 years they're managed to build a very swish shop, selling very pretty expensive things, but the main temple still isn't completed?) Very peaceful place to spend a few hours though. We were quite tempted to stay for a week - there are classes in everything - from yoga to synchronised swimming to drawing to dance to cooking....

Resisting the charms of Auroville we moved on to Thanjavur - we found a bus that left at 17.30, and arrived at half past midnight... much fun. Luckily the bus stopped opposite a guesthouse which was still open, so we found beds without too much hassle! Thanjavur is pretty much off the beaten track as far as western tourists go. Well worth visiting though - it has a royal palace (complete with bats) with a huge collection of bronze statues (unfortunately after the first 50 or so they start to look a little samey). It also has a stunning temple - all the more stunning for the fact that we were allowed into the inner sanctum (normally only Hindus can enter) to see the huge Shiv lingum. Its one of the largest temples in south India - in a very large, almost fortified courtyard, and also has a huge 8m long statue of Nandi (the Bull always associated with Shiva)

From Thanjavur we managed to get a rather shorter bus (only 3 1/2 hours this time!) to Madurai, where we employed the 'cheapest room in a nice hotel' theory - which has paid off well, as we spent much of this morning watching Oprah and eating room service... (yes, still on a backpacker budget!)

We're spending another day here in Madurai, manily to see the temple - which totaly dominates the skyline - we spent New Years eve on a roof top restaurant, and watched fireworks going off all over the city at midnight.

Hope you all had good New Years celebrations!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

ThaliThali
Thali

the lunch of choice in the South. Basicaly a banana leaf, with many bits of curry/chutneys/rice/dhal/pappadums/etc, all eaten with the (right) hand (or if you're me, you acquire a spoon and take it out with you...I just cant quite be bothered to learn to eat rice with my hand....)
Mamallapuram beachMamallapuram beach
Mamallapuram beach

spot the cow!
Matrimandir, AurovilleMatrimandir, Auroville
Matrimandir, Auroville

You're only allowed to view this from one point - which cleverly hides most of the scaffolding


8th January 2007

Does Varanasi not kick ass? Massive, massive fan of the fire hydrant, also. Glad all's well, and good to hear your voice over Xmas. Take care... x

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb