Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Auroville
Blogs from Auroville
Latest Blogs from Auroville
- September 12th 2012 Derniers jours a Auroville
by Words: 1830 Photos: 0
- September 10th 2012 La sadhana forest
by Words: 2577 Photos: 0
- August 17th 2012 Auroville, la ville de tous les possibles :)
by Words: 1329 Photos: 0
- August 3rd 2012 La pyramide des coprs contents
by Words: 1372 Photos: 11
- July 29th 2012 Auroville c'est pas Herouxville bon
by Words: 728 Photos: 27
- August 13th 2011 July through Mid-August update
by Words: 2135 Photos: 0
- August 4th 2011 playin gin the sandpit and naptime
by Words: 404 Photos: 0
- July 27th 2011 chocoooolateee
by Words: 507 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2011 injustice, guilt.
by Words: 963 Photos: 0
- July 11th 2011 sweat, serenity, sleeplessness
by Words: 701 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2011 sensory overload
by Words: 719 Photos: 0
- June 29th 2011 “Agni days” and some words about diet … and animals too!
by Words: 2691 Photos: 0
- April 25th 2011 My summer vacation... (part 1)
by Words: 1893 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2011 Longer wait, shorter entry!
by Words: 1608 Photos: 0
- February 26th 2011 Buddha's Belly Bamboo & a scooter too!
by Words: 3114 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2011 A move, and for bananas too
by Words: 2554 Photos: 0
- January 28th 2011 Another two-week blog
by Words: 2285 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2011 A two-week intermission
by Words: 4627 Photos: 0
- December 20th 2010 umm... what week is it?
by Words: 2134 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2010 week Three (late, but hopefully worth it)!
by Words: 2291 Photos: 0