A spiritual oasis


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
January 6th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop was Pushkar, a small, highly religous town where they believe in the healing powers of the lake waters. We arrived at about midday to find, again, that our prebooked rooms had been given away to someother people! As the hotel was beautiful and had the most amazing terrace overlooking the lake we were determined to stay there no matter what. The only room available for our 1 night stay was a delux room that we all 4 to share! After waiting to speak to the manager for over an hour, Lou quite literally told the manager how much we were going to pay and no messing and we were in and lapping up the luxury!

The moment we stepped out of the hotel we were immediately handed a flower by guys standing on the road. Not knowing why we simply walked on to find some lunch, but the guys kept following us saying that we must through the flower in the water NOW....well when we went down we were separated from each other and then TOLD to sit down on the steps and then the guys made us repeat lots of spirtual nonsense about health, family etc
Our hotel roomOur hotel roomOur hotel room

...the "suite" overlooking the lake. Tough this backpacking !
etc and then we had to throw the petals of the flower in the water so that all the spitiual stuff came true! They then put a red band around our wrist, known as a Pushkar Passport, which meant that we wouldn't be bothered by other guys wanting us to throw petals! They then proceeded to ask for 200 ruppees for each member of our family, otherwise they wouldn't be healthy etc etc...not offense to our families but we only gave the guys 100 rupees in total each, as the money was only going into their own pockets anyway and not a charity.

Pushkar town was lovely to walk around...really quaint, with great clothes shops, temples, very friendly people etc. We also saw our first snake charmer. The snake looked like it was plastic, but that didn't stop Lou from looking pertified when she had to get close to it to give the guy a tip for letting us take a photo!

On leaving Pushkar, we all said how much we loved the place and wished we'd stayed for longer than a night, but we have quite a tight itinerary with Jo & Prit, so we got back in our plush, chaffeaur driven car and headed for Jodhpur....

Lou & Steve xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

OK...so sometimes it's really shitty in IndiaOK...so sometimes it's really shitty in India
OK...so sometimes it's really shitty in India

..this was just off the main street
Chillin'Chillin'
Chillin'

My fav picture so far (once I edit the bloke out on the right !)


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb