Amritsar, Golden Temple, Sikh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
May 26th 2005
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

golden temple sunsetgolden temple sunsetgolden temple sunset

amritsar and the sikh golden temple at sunset on our first night staying at the temple complex.
In Amritsar. Didn't sleep much last night, took off at 6:00am to get to the train station this morning. Long ass ride with screaming children. Agriculture. Rice. Fruit trees. Jilns for bricks. Corn. Strange haystacks.

But we finally arrived. The only non-indian tourists we could see, accosted by drivers. Eventually made it to the info center - notsohelpful. Aot an autorickshaw to the Temple. Found the info center. Again, notsomuch very helpful. Went to go find lodging. Are staying in the free open beds at the Temple. Ate lunch at the langar with free dal and bread.

We're such a rare sight - reminds me of China. Walking around inside the Temple boys come up and shake our hands and ask to have pictures taken with us. Old women smile and want photos taken with us, have their baby grandchildren thrust into our arms while we smile, yet again, for another photo. Flattering at first, tiring after a while. Would be nice to sit and take in the surroundings for a few moments.

The Golden Temple is ... hauntingly beautiful. Chanting. Singing. Immense water. White marble. Barefeet. Head covered. Boys bathing in the water. Rainstorm. Gold. So much
orange turbanorange turbanorange turban

walking around the temple, counterclockwise, so the right hand is always facing the center and the temple. the left hand is considered dirty in india and you walk counterclockwise around all temples, no matter the religion.
gold. Spears. Orange suits, turbans, and flags.

Warrior. Spears. Swords. Even some women wear daggers. Gataka.

Had a light dinner. Heading back to the dorm for sleep soon. Exhausted.

Immensely beautiful... photos from online doesn't do it justice...




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

happy children happy children
happy children

at the golden temple
women in the waterwomen in the water
women in the water

the temple is the sikh's holiest site and everyone wants to bathe in the water and gather some of the holy water to take home, too.


Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb