Jaisalmer (Jodhpur-Jaisalmer)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
November 21st 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jaisalmer



Rajasthan is bestowed with rich history and interesting tourist destinations: Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Ajmer (Pushkar), Mt. Abu, Chittor – just to name a few.

This is about Jodhpur-Jaisalmer trip from Gandhinagar (Ahmedabad – Gujarat) in November – 2011. Winters are the best seasons to visit any part of Rajasthan. Summers are simmering. Jodhpur is about 5-6 hours drive from Jaipur. Trains are also available for Jodhpur from Delhi / Jaipur /Ahmedabad.

The route that we took was:


• Gandhinagar (Ahmedabad – Gujarat) – Palanpur – Abu Road – Sirohi – Pali – Jodhpur: 470 km – 8 ½ hrs driving time.
• Jodhpur – Jaisalmer: 260 km – 5 ½ hrs driving time.
• Jaisalmer – Barmer – Tharad – Deesa – Palanpur – Gandhinagar: 570 km 8 hrs driving time.






Our first halt was at Jodhpur (please refer to the previous entry).

Our next destination on this tour after Jodhpur, was Jaisalmer.

It is about 260 km (5 ½ hrs) from Jodhpur. We started in the morning after breakfast and reached Jaisalmer around lunch time. Roads are OK. They get somewhat lonely as the population becomes scanty. There are very few villages on the way, fewer petrol pumps or service stations.

Jaisalmer has mainly two attractions: The Fort and Sand Dunes – Camel Safari. One should visit the Fort in the morning and Sand Dunes in the evening.

First day evening we saw the Puppet Show. A wonderful show of folk art – one should not miss while while in Jaisalmer.

Next day we visited the Jaisalmer Fort in the morning. It is unique in that it is a ‘live’ fort. All other major forts in India are basically tourist attractions. They are deserted monuments. While the Jaisamer fort is ‘live’. People actually live in it. There are streets, there are shops, there are vehicles, but of course, there is no King now! The palace in the fort is a huge one and very well preserved.

Main reason why people go to Jaisalmer is to experience the desert. Jaisalmer is situated on the border of the famous Thar Desert. Camel Safaris can be arranged through your hotel for going in to the desert. Popular place is the Sam’s Sand Dunes, about 60 km from Jaisalmer. Package includes Camel Ride, dinner at the camp. Night stay is optional. You can go up to the Sam’s Sand Dunes in your own vehicle or hire taxi. Camps (tents) have been erected in the desert where you can spend a night and get the feeling of the desert. At Sam’s Dunes, you have to park your vehicle and proceed on camel for about an hour to the sand dunes.

Sounds so good and exciting!

Reality is somewhat different. The camel ride doesn’t take you very deep in the desert and the road and the camp is always within sight. They just take a circuitous route to pass time. The ride is not comfortable at all. Bruising your posterior is guaranteed. At the Sand Dunes the camel owner will ask for more money to take you deeper in to the Thar. The Sand Dunes are fun and worth a visit.

Next you come back to the road, walk back to your car (~ 2 km) and go to the Camp site. The Camp we had booked in was one of the most popular. But it was totally mismanaged. Food could not be more unhygienic. Dinner was followed by folk dance show. It was of very poor quality and bordering vulgarity. We had decided not to stay overnight and I don’t recommend night stay at Sam’s Sand Dunes. You don’t feel comfortable and safe if you are with family.

We returned before midnight.

Overall, worth a visit for the experience of desert sand.

Next day we returned to Gandhinagar. A drive of nearly 570 km. Road was exceptionally good. (Well maintained to facilitate movement of armed forces. The area is very close to Pakistan). It took less than 8 hours!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb