DAY 10: Jaisalmer, Hotel Swastika


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
February 18th 2011
Published: February 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we decided to make use of the festival and head to desert for a camel ride and see what the 'nice programmes' we heard so much about entailed. Cue Laura in fits of laughter as I made my way on the back of this spitting camel. Anyone that knows me knows I am not an animal person- particularly after the mini panic attack that time I was on an elephant in Thailand (which again entertained Laura). She is au-fait with all this 'riding animal' behaviour... growing up in Wales prepares you for this type of thing. The only experience I had was when my uncle tied me to the Kyza the dog when I was bout 4.

So we were on the camel for an hour anyway. The novelty wore off after about 20 minutes. We headed to Sam Sand dunes which is the start of the desert. We expected a full on festival and instead was greeted with a poor man's outdoor barn dance. Little stalls of food and hundreds of camels wandering about. Of course the cows made an appearance. One was even slowly wandering across the finishing line of the camel race. Not much else happened really- a bit uneventful. Thing is, we had a pick up arranged so we had to wait around. Plus it started raining. So typical of us- the only day it decides to rain, it rains when we're stranded in the desert for 5 hours!


Got back about 9pm and went for some food. Saw a little wedding procession from the rooftop. Actually we made a little friend in the internet place and he was telling us his cousin was getting married...then we saw him dancing about in the procession. No extravagent stag dos to Ibiza...instead the husband-to-be rides around on a white horse with all his men and a little van blasting out music with kids dancing all around it. Then the women all follow at the back. There were bangers and fireworks etc. Was really good to watch. Hoping to upload some videos soon- they take over an hour to load though so bear with me.

So tomorrow we're heading to Udaipur- this involves a 15 hour bus ride- in the sleeping carriage. Given the previous description of buses here- I have no doubt that it will be eventful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Camel ridingCamel riding
Camel riding

Good job you can't see my face. In Laura's words: 'You look like you were eating a lemon terrified.'


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb