An A-Bundi-ance of pain


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bundi
May 2nd 2013
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bundi




This morning we had a nice long lie in following yesterday's early rise. This did unfortunately mean that we were out and about in the mid-day sun. Well, you know what they say about Mad dogs and Englishmen...

From our hotel window you could see the fort and palace rising up from the hillside. From the level we were at it didn't seem to far a climb, but past hiking experiences told me that looks can be deceiving. Armed with sticks “to protect from monkeys” we set off up the hill at a steady/slow pace pausing every 100/200metres to drink more water. The ticket office had informed us that it would only take 15 minutes to reach the fort. I can only say the old man must have had wings. It took us nearly 45 minutes to reach the summit and that at a struggle. Andrew made it to the main gate before collapsing on the steps. I headed up to the main parapet for a better view of the town. The view of the surrounding countryside and rolling hills made the climb for me at least, worthwhile. We will both however quite freely admit that we should have eaten and taken more water with us.

The journey down, whilst quicker, was still very steep. The palace turn-off was about ¾ of the way down the hill.

Bundi Palace was built in the 15th Century and the beautiful palace murals are some of the best preserved in Rajasthan. The warden unlocked a padlocked door and showed us a room covered with the golden painting the Maharanas and the battles they fought. Although really delicate and beautiful, Andrew and I by this point were nearly beaten by the heat. We headed down the hill with Andrew exclaiming that he had no idea how anyone did any manual labour in India . We rewarded our efforts with beautifully cold drinking water and a delightfully freezing shower.


Chittor/ Chittaurgargh




The next morning enroute to Udaipur we stopped off to visit the amazing hill fort at Chittor. The fort put up the strongest fight against the muslim invaders of any of the fortifications in Rajasthan. Disturbingly, it was also the site of three mass johors (suicides) by the women of the fort. On three occasions when faced with impending doom on the battlefield, rather than surrender the wives, sisters and mothers burned themselves alive on the funeral pyres with their husbands sons and brothers smearing their faces with ash before riding to their deaths in battle. The 180m fort standing tall in the Mewar valley has one of the bloodiest histories.

We needed the car to drive between the bastions a as the fort was so large and the sun so hot that it was impossible to walk it. We wondered around our first Jain temple (well I did Andrew's poor feet were finding it difficult on the hot marble – I clearly am a hardened old woman). The stone ring was amazingly detailed with dancing girls and gods and representations of Vishnu rising up it. Kumbha Shayma temple.

Towards the end of the fortifications stands Viyay Stambh, a victory tower erected Rana Kumbha following his victory over the muslim Sultan in 1440. This victory tower stands at 36m high and Andrew and I with our combined vertigo refused to be put off climbing it The steps were very narrow and quite dark but the view from the top of the temples bellow was worth the climb even if again we had to pose for numerous pictures with the locals. We reached some quiet gardens away from the calls of “photo please” and enjoyed two ice creams for about 40p. Result.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th May 2013

Wonderful descriptions again.This is India truly revealed.The monkeys are clearly more aggressive than the Malaysian ones.On the Heritage walking trail here at Loch Leven I carry a stick to ward of the infernal dogs! Love O.
14th May 2013

Wonderful descriptions again.This is India truly revealed.The monkeys are clearly more aggressive than the Malaysian ones.On the Heritage walking trail here at Loch Leven I carry a stick to ward of the infernal dogs! Love O.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb