India Wedding/Reception


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Chandigarh
April 18th 2011
Published: April 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last India blog!
Thursday night was reception and the actual wedding ceremony, so we got dressed in our traditional indian clothing (a sari for me and a kurta for Jonathan). The sari was very difficult to figure out, and it wasn't until we got to the groom's house that I was told it was on backwards! So, a few of the women there were kind enough to help me out, but even they had trouble! At the reception another Indian women stopped to "fix" me, and then it happened again a few hours into the reception. I didn't feel too bad, everyone said how hard it was to get it right! The sari was beautiful, the bride's aunt picked both of our outfits out for us, which was so kind!
Now to the reception. WOW! It's going to be hard to describe how amazing the reception was. Something definitely fit for a princess! There were probably 700-1000 guests there if not more I would say. Food everywhere...there were people walking around with every type of Indian food imaginable, and they genuinely seemed sad if you actually said "no" to them! Jonathan and I tried almost everything, at least for the first 30 minutes, then we realized it wasn't going to stop so we'd better pace ourselves. For this wedding, I'm not sure if this is the same for all traditional India weddings, the reception was actually before the wedding ceremony. Everyone was dancing and having a great time. The bride looked so beautiful and happy! At around midnight, we were told that people were getting ready to head to the bride's parent's house for the wedding ceremony, which was scheduled to start around 1:30am. Jonathan and I made a quick stop at the hotel to freshen up and then headed over to the house. We were fortunate enough to get a front row seat for the ceremony, which ended up starting at around 2 and went until 4am! You could tell the bridal party was just exhausted, especially since they've been celebrating for the last 6 days. The ceremony was beautiful and it was really cool to see all of the traditions that were part of the celebration. When things wrapped up at 4, Jonathan and I headed to the hotel for our last night in Chandigarh. We woke up around 8am, and unfortunately Jonathan was very sick to his stomach that morning and most of the day. We ended up deciding to fly from Chandigarh to Delhi (no way was jonathan going to be able to handle a 4 hour car ride!) and after thinking we weren't going to make our flight, we made it to the airport just in time. The driver who was supposed to pick us up at the hotel said that someone cancelled the pick up, so we had to take a Tuk-Tuk (which only goes about 40 mph at the most!) to the airport. No air conditioning, no doors, and the thing shook violently while idling! We were both not feeling well, but thank goodness we made it!

We stayed in a beautiful Courtyard Marriott hotel in Gurgaon, close to Delhi, and had a rest day on Saturday which was well needed and deserved. Jonathan got some work done, we read some books, and just relaxed. Sunday we were up and to the Delhi airport by 8:30am so we could make sure we made our flight to Finland!

And that...was our trip to India in a nutshell!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb