India Day 1


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a bit of a nightmare at Heathrow we made it to Delhi just a day later than expected. The flight was good despite Graeme spilling red wine all down his light linen pants - ha!

Landing at Delhi airport at 1am, the heat was overwhelming. Even though the flight had been delayed the hotel pick-up was still waiting for us. We survived the drive back to the hotel - just. And we've never heard so many car horns on the road especially at that time of the night. Crazy drivers.

The dark, dingy alley (with outdoor urinals at the end) leading to our hotel was a nice, warm reception. Surprisingly, our room was nice, with a TV, air-con that actually worked and an en suite with a real flushing toilet!

On our first day we headed out into Delhi. People were right when they described how often you'll be approached by people trying to sell you something. Although Graeme made a couple of little Indian friends within minutes of leaving the hotel. We wanted to book train tickets at Delhi train station - this didn't happen. Yep, we were fooled. To be fair the guy showed us his 'official' train station badge.... and sent us in a taxi to the 'official booking office'. We met a guy called Shafi who planned a nice little trip up North for us - for far too much money. And for some magical reason we booked it haha. He gave us a driver for the rest of the day to show us Delhi while he sorted our tickets. We actually saw loads that day, our driver - Vippen - was lovely, and we didn't have to pay for it wahey! We saw the Red Fort, the Gateway to India, ate at a nice restaurant, Lotus temple and a Krishna temple.

Everywhere we looked their was something amazing to see but the Krishna temple was crazy. The guy showing us around would lead us into big dark rooms with a torch in hand, then tell us to sit down and he'd just leave. All of a sudden music would start and weird lights would come on and a deep freaky voice would basically question our morality. The Temple was amazing though. We took off our shoes, sat cross legged and listened to the people chanting.

After waiting for aaaaages for our bus tickets for the next morning to Srinagar (up North) we were taken home without them. Vippen did take us for a nice Masala Dosa first though, bless him. We went to bed slihtly worried that Vippen might not pick us up for our bus the next morning....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



11th July 2012

watch out india
looks like you have seen some nice buildings, and ate some good food, pleased f u both, keep the blogs coming, mummy is getting clever working it out ha ha both take care love mam xxxx
11th July 2012
Lotus Temple

hi nikki you made it go steady it looks good that street could do with a clean dont eat the food boil everythink ill get your dad on tommorrow love den and tubsy
13th July 2012
Outside our Hotel

hello sister
hello sister :) hope you are both well andenjoying yourself out there, the pic of outside your hotel looks like my estate, better infact lol, you will have to keep us updated with more pics of your trip, have fun and both be safe lots of love from your big bro xx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb