Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
February 10th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Delhi

Well after a quick direct flight from Poovar to Delhi ( we elected to absorb the cost of the two part flight with plane changes in Bangalore booked but our Vancouver agent for the more convenient flight ), welcome to the north. Much colder. Walking the streets much less comfortable as we found out when I escorted Chindi out to find an ATM and the local travel agent. I had to puff up my chest and look fierce. And the air pollution! Chindi and I were invited to a lovely lovely dinner at the home of the owner of the travel agency. It was wonderful and the whole family was very gracious. However I had to take a gravol for nausea on the drive to their beautiful home and I haven't used gravol since heavy weather sailing days.

Whereas the south is seems to be all about color, food, lush scenery, friendly people, and a few great monuments, the big city north is all about bagging all the famous monuments. No much else to recommend it.

We visited the India Gate War memorial which was nice but the people gathered around it were more interesting. The Qutab Minar or victory monument is the most impressive sight in Delhi. The Red Fort was less impressive as the interior was gutted by the British. The Jama Masjid mosque is large but doesn't compare with the Taj to follow. Rickshaw tour through old Delhi the highlight along with the Qutab.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb