Qutub Minar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
June 24th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After 2 months of constant heat of over 100 degrees (F), the last couple of days have cooled down substantially. So, Dan and I ventured out yesterday to see the Qutub Minar, one of the seven wonders of India. Check out our pics!

Qutub Minar is the tallest brick minaret in the world, and an important example of Indo-Islamic Architecture. The tower is about 20 minutes south of our house in South Delhi, India. The Qutub Minar and its monuments are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was inspired by the Minaret of Jam in Afghanistan, the first Muslim ruler of Delhi.

Surrounding the building are many fine examples of Indian artwork from the time it was built in 1193. The Qutub Minar is 234 ft high and requires 399 steps to get to the top. The stairs were closed on the day we were there.

Here is more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qutub_Minar


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Qutub MinarQutub Minar
Qutub Minar

Qutub Minar


25th June 2007

Thank God for Air Conditioning
100 degrees plus. Wow - too bad there's no canal in your backyard or n SOS Club, like Modesto. I had just watch a program about the Qutub Minar on HD-TV. It was all about India, part of an ongoing series entitled "1000 places to see before you die". Deb actually has a paperback o the book. I am quite sure she plans on seeing most of it. You two still look wondeful together!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb