Incredible !ndia


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
November 27th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Indian SchoolgirlsIndian SchoolgirlsIndian Schoolgirls

Every time I tried to take pictures of schoolgirls, they would initially pose and then turn their heads or cover their mouths and giggle. I almost got both of these face on!
You may have seen India's recent tourist campaign on television or in magazines -- Incredible !ndia. Indeed it is. We've only had just a taste of this diverse country -- the northern cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur -- but we will have memories to last a lifetime. We'll give you a bit of commentary and our impressions, but mainly, we'd like to let our photos tell the story of the past two weeks.
We started by touring both Old Delhi and New Delhi. Delhi's population is 14 million people and there are 5 million cars. Five million cars and who knows how many motorbikes that beep their horns nonstop from 6:00 a.m. till after midnight. Our guide told us it is easy to drive in Delhi. Why? Because there are no rules!
After Delhi, we drove. While touring India, you don't fly from site to site -- you drive, and the roads and traffic are so bad that a 125 km trip takes 5 hours. We had a great driver for 6 days -- Kulvir -- and were in the car for over 20 hours total. We drove through many miles of countryside, especially in the state of Rajasthan and
Taj MahalTaj MahalTaj Mahal

Griffin took this picture at about 8:30 in the morning after the fog had lifted.
saw camel carts, cow dung huts, tuk tuks built to hold 4 people with 16-20 people in them, villagers taking their morning showers at the common water pump, uniformed children walking or bicycling to and from school, and dozens of women in their beautifully colored saris working in the fields and walking along the roads with huge loads carried on their heads. These images and those in the villages of cows, water buffaloes, camels, goats, pigs and masses of people will never leave us.
In Agra we visited the famous Taj Mahal built by the 5th Mughal King, Shah Jahan. We weren't disappointed by this magnificent mausoleum -- the pictures we'll post here can hardly do it justice. In Jaipur we visited an observatory built in the 18th century that still works today and took an elephant ride up to the Amber Palace, the former capital of the Rajput kingdom and a popular location for movies set in India. If Indochina was the "temple tour," then India was the "fort tour." We visited many forts or palaces that were built by the ruling shahs (kings) and the local maharajas in the states.
Our favorite stop in India was the Ranthambhore
Camel HerdCamel HerdCamel Herd

After I took this photo along the road, the camel herder wanted me to pay him for the picture.
National Park. This park is home to 26 bengal tigers -- not one of which showed his or her face to us on the two tiger safaris we took! No worries though; we saw lots of deer and birds and were kept entertained by dozens of monkeys. And the jeep rides were akin to those crazy, bumpy rides at Disney World. It was so peaceful in Ranthambhore, even in the village, and we needed that break after the chaos of the Indian cities we had been in.
We leave India with very mixed emotions. The sites, the smells, the culture, the sheer number of people -- it's pretty overwhelming. Ted and I weren't bothered by being gawked at by the people we saw along the way, but it wasn't easy for Griffin -- not surprising as he is only 14. We were all bothered by the poverty, the begging and the non-stop hawking. And yet we were awed by the beauty of the sites and the faces of the people, especially the children who smiled, waved at us and took every opportunity to say "Hello!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Colorful SarisColorful Saris
Colorful Saris

I took this picture in Delhi, but these women were likely visiting from the state of Rajasthan by the colors of their saris (according to our guide).
Streetside VendorStreetside Vendor
Streetside Vendor

Selling nuts on the street in Delhi.
Delhi SceneDelhi Scene
Delhi Scene

Street upon street upon street of scenes like this...
Humayun's TombHumayun's Tomb
Humayun's Tomb

The 3 of us standing in front of King Humayun's Tomb which was the inspiration for Shah Jahan's Taj Mahal.
Gandhi MemorialGandhi Memorial
Gandhi Memorial

The memorial site of Mahatma Gandhi -- the Father of the Nation.
Holy CowHoly Cow
Holy Cow

Cows, sacred in India, were everywhere. I couldn't count the number of times we had to either stop for them or drive around them on our drives.
Indian Mass TransitIndian Mass Transit
Indian Mass Transit

There was actually room for someone to sit in this one...
Women WorkingWomen Working
Women Working

The women of India work very hard and we saw sights like this a hundred times -- sometimes with larger loads on their heads.
Going HomeGoing Home
Going Home

This girl was heading home from school at the end of the day. Indian children go to school 6 days a week from around 8-4:30.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

Even the gate to the Taj Mahal is impressive.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

As most everyone knows, the Shah Jahan built this mausoleum for his deceased wife. It took 22 years to complete. Here are the 3 of us uncomfortably squinting into the sun!
Field Trip!!Field Trip!!
Field Trip!!

There were dozens of school children on field trips to the abandoned Mogul capital of Fatehpur Sikri outside of Agra.
JaipurJaipur
Jaipur

Main square in Jaipur.
Palace of WindsPalace of Winds
Palace of Winds

Beautiful palace in the center of Jaipur.
Indian DentistIndian Dentist
Indian Dentist

Dentist "by experience" is how our guide described these "dentists" on the streets of Jaipur. Thought Dr. McCarty would appreciate this one...
Elephant RideElephant Ride
Elephant Ride

Ted and Griff on the elephant ride up to the Amber Palace in Jaipur.
Amber PalaceAmber Palace
Amber Palace

The beautiful destination of the elephant ride -- the Amber Palace, the former capital of the Rajput kingdom.
RanthambhoreRanthambhore
Ranthambhore

Griff and Ted getting some much needed downtime at our hotel in Ranthambhore.
Ranthambhore National ParkRanthambhore National Park
Ranthambhore National Park

Although we didn't get to see any tigers in the park, we saw lots of these crazy monkeys showing off for us.
Indian BarberIndian Barber
Indian Barber

We never saw one of these streetside barber chairs without a customer getting a shave or a haircut.
Village Vegetable MarketVillage Vegetable Market
Village Vegetable Market

The colors of the saris matched the food for sale in this Ranthambhore village vegetable market.


27th November 2006

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! What an amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing your pictures and narrative.
27th November 2006

Amazement
This travel blog is really wonderful. All the commetary makes us feel like we are right there with you guys. The narrative would make a great book; which you will probably do when this trip is finished.
28th November 2006

I'm glad I signed up for the vicarious trip around the world. Your commentary is very well written and fun to read. I'm amazed at your endurance...a little different "vacation" than sitting on a beach in Hawaii. Ted, I had lunch with Lewis Brown yesterday. Glad he's back on his feet again. Are you playing golf in every country in the world too? Safe Travels...Hal
29th November 2006

WOW
Do you find yourselves wishing for other ways to say "WOW!"? I love your blogs and always look forward to the next one. Thanks for sharing. KA
30th November 2006

Thanks
I just finished reading your commentary on India. I loved hearing about your adventure, it made me feel a part of it. After the hustle and bustle of Viet Nam all is quite for now. Hoping you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are someplace relaxing for a while. Miss you guys, Myra
1st December 2006

Wow doesn't always do it...
Yes, Kathy, we are running out of superlatives! Everyone will have to forgive us if we repeat ourselves. We are relaxing in Bali right now but should be posting another blog entry soon about our time in Bhutan. Take care...
1st December 2006

Hello Myra
Glad you enjoyed our India entry. It was so different from Indochina. We were on a private tour, so it was just the 3 of us. We miss having an "extended family" along! We spent Thanksgiving on a flight to Bhutan and driving through the mountains once we got there. I should be posting an entry on Bhutan soon -- we loved it there. Take care and happy holidays!!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb