India Incredible, just as advertised


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
December 7th 2011
Published: January 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Can you believe it? I'm finally in India! It took so long to get here, and yet, now that I'm here I feel like I've been here forever.



My sister and I landed in Delhi at 5 AM and immediately were confronted with everything India is known for: noise, people, smells, smog and sheer intensity. And it was only 5 AM! It was a whirlwind - we land, we get into our first mode of transport and are whisked off into the crazy dream that is the Delhi roadways.



Despite traveling for virtually 24 hours, being nearly 12 time zones from home... it was hard to sleep the first few nights in Delhi. For one, we were completely out of whack. Our bodies were utterly confused where we were, what time of day it was, and what we should eat. Luckily, India is so different that if if we weren't jet lagged, it would have still been an adjustment. So, we revelled in it. But we mostly couldn't sleep because we were just so excited to be in India. So much to see! So much to do! So much to eat!



The first day in Delhi we took it fairly easy, wandering around markets and just taking it all in. Even the smells, and the fact that sanitation is completely absent in some areas of Delhi. The smells of Delhi press in on you as if to suffocate you, but you soon get used to holding your breath when you walk past ten men urinating against a wall. And what's more, sometimes they're doing it right down the way from people selling vegetables on the side of the road. Or sometimes the cows are doing it. And there are cows everywhere.



I will say that south Delhi is by FAR better than Old Delhi. Not that Old Delhi isn't neat... it's just overwhelming, confusing and dirty. Very dirty. South Delhi was more vibrant and definitely more cosmopolitan. The sights were beautiful too. I felt like it was a whole new city compared to Old Delhi with its trash-lined streets and thousands of flies in the air.



But Old Delhi has one crowning jewel: Red Fort. We spent a good chunk of time just wandering around and admiring the many, many arches of all the buildings. We also just sat in the gardens and watched all the people going by. It was so entertaining, and such a nice break from the chaos that was going on outside the Red Fort. I understand why all these forts were built - they definitely blocked the noise!



We have a few days here in Delhi, and we're definitely searching for the quiet recluses to get away from the hubbub. And tomorrow, we're definitely checking out Humayun's Tomb - so excited!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 24; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb