Delhi - Many Different Perspectives


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi » Qutub Minar
June 15th 2013
Published: June 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Chanti ChowkChanti ChowkChanti Chowk

View from the speeding rickshaw. Tough to take pictures
After a good workout in the hotel gym (I am traveling with Leo) and another great breakfast in our hotel, we met our driver (DP) and our guide for the day “Luke”. We headed from central New Delhi to Old Delhi to begin our touring.

As we approach Old Delhi you can see how the buildings change. They are older and more compact. Our first stop focused on the Muslim residents of Delhi. Interestingly, although all religions appear to live with each other peacefully in Delhi, there is a definite divide in this part of town, the Muslim live on the ‘left’ and everyone else on the ‘right’. You could see the difference in dress and the stores on either side of the road. We made our way to the Jama Mosque, the largest mosque in India, capable of holding up to 25,000 worshipers. Although I was wearing long pants and long sleeves, I was still required to don a long colorful robe over my clothes.

Directly from the mosque we boarded a bicycle rickshaw and went for an amazing ride through the Chanti Chowk, a colorful bazaar with many winding alleys. The rickshaw ride was an exercise in
The Red FortThe Red FortThe Red Fort

Just a small part of this huge complex.
bravery. Our driver negotiated large potholes, other rickshaws, motorcycles, pedestrians and cars. On this wild ride we passed through the wedding market with the brightly colored sarees, a food market and got to see the impressive electrical system of Old Delhi.

We finished at a site closely related to the Jama Mosque, Delhi’s Red Fort. Both the fort and the mosque were made of red sandstone and white marble and built in the mid 1600’s by Shah Jahan (the emperor who created the Taj Mahal). The Red Fort was the seat of the Mughal Empire for more than 250 years. At the Red Fort we were asked to have our photo taken with someone’s uncle. Apparently, white people are an attraction to many Indians who live in the south of India.

Following this, we made a brief stop at Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial. This is a serene place with and eternal flame memorializing Gandhi. From there we headed to Humayun’s Tomb. This was another red sandstone and white marble Mughal structure. This was built by a wife to honor her husband and serves as the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.

We made a brief stop for lunch at
Humayun's TombHumayun's TombHumayun's Tomb

Love the panorama shot on my phone
a continental restaurant. Reasonable prices, a wide variety of food, Oriental, Mexican, Italian, Continental and Northern Indian. Not feeling brave, I opted for chicken Florentine. Leo ate a meal consisting entirely of various types of bread. He was happy, but he left the wait staff puzzled.

The Qutab Complex, with the magnificent Qutab Minar was the third UNESCO World Heritage site for the day. The victory tower was beautiful with its sandstone structures and Islamic calligraphy. The complex also houses the palaces of the king as well as a former Hindu palace, defaced by the invading Mughals.

We took a quick drive through the current government area, where we saw the President’s house as well as other colonial style government buildings installed by the British during their rule. This drive also, included a drive near the India Gate, an archway reminiscent of the Arch de Triumph or the USA’s National Mall, although lacking in either’s grandeur.

Our final stop was an unplanned but welcome adventure. We went to the Birla Temple, a gold domed, Sikh temple. Where we are able to observe and participate in some religious rituals. After removing our shoes, (a common occurrence on this
Qutab MinarQutab MinarQutab Minar

Architecturally interesting
trip), we washed our hands and then I was appalled to have to wash my feet in a communal basin (thousands of people were using) we entered the temple where we sat for prayers and observed others in their rituals. From there we went to another portion of the complex, where the worshipers come to eat the holy food and/or volunteer to prepare and serve it to others. In our bare feet we walked though the kitchens where all the food was being prepared by volunteers.

I was anxious to get back to the hotel, remove my grimy clothes and take a shower (special attention was paid to my feet). Delhi is not a pretty city or a clean city, actually, it is grey brown and dingy, but it is a city with interesting cultural diversity and I enjoyed my visit. Our Itinerary will take us back here several more times as it is the major airport hub and we will fly in and out a couple more times including a few more overnight stays.

I almost forgot. . . In the parking lot, after one of our tours, I had the chance to watch a snake charmer
Snake CharmerSnake CharmerSnake Charmer

I am only a little bit scared.
with a real live Cobra! Scary! Especially when he jumped at me. Leo was laughing, but he wasn’t standing next to it!



A note to my readers: I am writing this blog so I can have a record of my trip and share my journeys with our family and friends. I welcome you to share our adventure and I love to read your comments when you visit. Excuse my spelling, typing and grammar errors. After a long day, style is not very important.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Preparing food at the Sihk TemplePreparing food at the Sihk Temple
Preparing food at the Sihk Temple

My eyes were burning from the onions.
Bilari TempleBilari Temple
Bilari Temple

Making chopati
Chanti ChowkChanti Chowk
Chanti Chowk

Some of the colorful shops as we speed by.
Jama MasqueJama Masque
Jama Masque

Wearing my lovely cover-up
Humayun's TombHumayun's Tomb
Humayun's Tomb

A preview of things to come.
Mahatma Gandhi MemorialMahatma Gandhi Memorial
Mahatma Gandhi Memorial

Gandhi's cremation site.


16th June 2013

Jama Masque
Hi, Michelle! So Interesting! Wondering about the white fabrics scattered in the background of your photo. What are they? Cathy
16th June 2013

Nothing exotic. Just tarps to provide protection from the heat beneath and above the worshipers.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb