Raigad - Mahad Weekend Gateaway - Dec 2013


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Raigad » Harihareshwar
March 19th 2014
Published: March 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Idea of visiting Raigad was being tossed up few times in last few months but nothing concrete was getting worked out.Come December which is low business and high on holidays, i pre planned a weekend off in office and visit a nearby gateaway.Few resorts were shirt listed but none of them could materialise b'use of few uncertainities.Finally as if it was destined, suddenly just 2 days ahead of actual travel, all logistics got worked out.Saturday to Monday, stay at Motel Visava, extended family..and we were on our way!!

Travel is more fun when you have more people.We checked with Mahesh and he willingly joined us.We left Home by 11 am. Plan was to pick up Mahesh on Mumbai Goa HW near Wadkhal naka.This time we took a different route thru JVLR but due to some confustion ended up in Thane and then taking Thane Belapur to reach Vashi.Stopped at Kamat's for a quick lunch by 2.30 pm.Wadkhal is hardly 30-40 mins drive from there.We reached there first.Mahesh didnt took long and after picking him up we resumed our journey towards Mahad which is another 80 km approx from there.Me & Mahesh took the wheel turn by turn and reached our hotel in Mahad - Motel Visava by 5.30 pm.

Motel Visava is a welcome new place for stay in Raigad district of Maharashtra.It has been renovated just 18 months back but in its new look it offers all the possible amenities of a 3 Star hotel.Clean rooms, good choice of restaurants. Most importantly its location is ideal.25 kms from Raigad fort,60 kms from Mahabaleshwar. All these place are good 1 day picnics if you make this hotel your base.In fact urban and folks with family who wants reasonable level of comforts dont think have a better choice in this area.We were all were tired from a 6 hr travel so after checking in, we ordered some hot bhajias and tea.After unwinding a bit, all except Nam's mom stepped out.We needed few things for Sai hence we decided to step in city area of Mahad.Looked like it was a special day for some south indian communities.They had some sort of religious procession going on in main street.Syncronised music,colourful participants they made us stop and enjoy their rituals of song and dance for some time.It was fun to watch it!Then we picked up our stuff and came back to Hotel.That night we ate in their Veg restaurant "Aswad".

Plan for next day was to visit Raigad fort, also known as "Shivtirtha" among many Maratha devotees.We left around 9 am post breakfast at the hotel.Locals have suggested that owing to weekend there will be rush and one of the ways to avoid that is leave early n morning.Base of the fort is around 25 kms from the hotel but the road is bumpy at places so it takes you around 70-90 mins to reach there.At the base is a village named "Pachad".Its here that Mother of Shivaji - Jijamata rests in piece.In her last days, b'use of health issues she made this place at the base of the fort her home and its here where she brethe her last.For those who enjoy walking up, there is a gate from where one can enter and start the trekking.Local help is recommended as its a good 90-120 mins trail.For others Govt of State of Maharashtra has set up a nice Rope way which takes you around 20 mins to reach on top.Ticket cost are reasonable and facilities are decent.The place where we alight is actually the back end of the fort.Like any other fort there are guides available who can offer their recitation of the fort's glory along with key places on the Maratha Capital in hr or two.The fort is witness to some of the most glorious moments of Maratha empire's history so for those who dont know much of this, this service is useful.They charge approx 200-300 bucks for an hour.First up after climbing a few steps we end up at "Rani Mahal"- Residences of Royal Ladies.A narrow path from there connects you to the public celebration areas on the left and govt offices on the right along with KIng's palace.Few min walk from there is King's court where Shivaji Maharaj used to conduct his daily darbar.Almost for everything what remains now is just a pale shadow of its past glory.Its believed that most of the buildings on the forts and gates were designed and built by the then best architect named "Hiroji Indulkar".One of the specialities of his construction can be witnessed in the King's court.There the distance between King's throne and the main gate is 50-75 meters but even now if anyone whispers anything at the gate can be clearly heard at the throne.We were lucky that while we were there, one of the enthusiast actually demonstrated that to those present there!!Amazing piece of work.Just tells us how much developed our architecture was in 16th century!!All these structures are part of one big complex.Outside this one can walk to the market place where some remains can be seen.And a 10 -12 mins walk from there we reach the "Jagdishwar Temple" - Lord Shiva temple on the fort where Shivaji Maharaj used to offer his prayers each day.He was known to be a avid Shiva disciple.Just outside the temple, there is his Final resting place "Shiv Samadhi".Shivaji Maharaj is the most admired and worshipped personality of Maratha community.His rise and creation of Maratha Empire is a story of inspiration, courage and conviction to not only Marathas or Indian but also to communities worldwide.Vietnamese Prime Minister for example when visited India some years back publicly acknowledged Shivaji Maharaj's tactics to be his country's inspiration to beat the mighty US in US Vietnam war in 70's.We all felt immensely blessed and satisfed seeing,feeling the glory at the Maratha Capital.

It was late afternoon by now and we were tired of walking all over the fort.So after being back at the starting point we had some light snacks and alighted to the base from the cable car again.The visit to Ragad cannot be complete w/o visiting Inspiration of Shivaji Maharaj himself - His mother.Resting place of Jijamata lies few kms from the base at a village called "Pachad".We visited that on the way, offered our respects and thanked her for blessing us with greatest son of the soil in the form of Shivaji Maharaj.After being back at the hotel, we spent time relaxing our tired legs and overwhelmed minds.

Next day was checkout and return journey.We had breakfast at the hotel...typical Maharashtrian one.It was around 1030 am. On the way we decided to stop at the Hot water sprngs at a village called "Sav".its On highway few kms from Mahad, 15 mins drve may be. One has to cross Savitri River in a boat to reach that village.There is only 1 boat owned by one of the locals who charges 20 bucks per person for return trip.Sadly no one was around when we reached there. We inquired around and finally were able to locate the guy.2 school going kids, small boat, 10 mins trip it was fun! On the other side, we reached the springs after walking thru a local colony.People have contructed some cement borders etc around it and many use that hot water for bath and washing clothes. Some of it may look sad but thats how it was!We stepped in for a quick 10 mins in the water to feel it.Water was moderately warm.It is believed to contain some good medicinal properties.After spending some time we resumed our trip back.Road in patches was rough.Sai was comfortable Mahesh driving but since she was asleep, Mahesh took the.Good he did b'use he saved at least 30-45 mins from there till our first milestone which was Wadkhal naka where he dropped off.We had quich bites at a nearby hotel and then carried on.Gladly all the way upto home we didnt get too much traffic.We were home by 6 pm which was decent.After a long while it was a nice mini picnic we had as a family.High point was clearly visiting the fort and feeling that spirit...Spirit of fight against evil, for respect and for people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb