Mumbai airport


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
January 19th 2010
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello there! Here are some tips for those who travels to Mumbai for the first time. Every time I fly to Mumbai I always land just after midnight, give another hour for Immigration and Customs, and of course don't forget your expensive luggage to pick on your way out. As you walk down the corridor you will receive a lot of attention from guys working in Exchange Currency agencies, and you would have to get some money before entering the new world. They will charge you some commision, and their rate is shit, but that is okay because you're loaded with dollars, and British Pounds, and erotic EU money, so fuck the rate, and that fancy commision. Let's step into India as soon as possible. As soon as you walk out of the airport you will be surrounded by many many clever look alike lizards knowing you're fresh, and easy prey for them to fool you. They could charge you anything, and at night the rate goes high. So most of us book a hotel in advance, and taxi could be arranged by the hotel at okay price, and that is sweet of them. That is great, oh yeah, but there is a slight surprise coming our way when you arrive at your hotel just to find out that the room that you booked, let say over the internet isn't great. Obviously we don't want to stay in Taj Mahal, and paying £200 per night, but we like something cheap and looking great. It dosn't happens all the time. We'll say it is your karma to end up in some shit hole for the first time in your life. We must love it is the answer, of course we lost the great deal on good cheap accomodation, and some bugs might come to you and say hello. Now let us go back to the very beginning. You had a nice flight, great service, fantastic entertaiment all the way to India, and now you're an angry pissed off mother fucker trying to claim your money back, or get a better deal, and by the time you would realise that some of your bags were left in the taxi with your med shit, or credit cards, or some special travel underwear that could hold your own shit during the long trips on busses. You're about to fly to Mars.
Here are some simple ideas.
Obviously landing at Mumbai airport during the day is a good one, but most of European flights land at night. Now, because there is a time difference about 6 hours between Europe and India, forget about your sleep. You could stay up all night in the airport until the sun rises.
We like to wear T shirts in hot countries. I have thought of some new way on how to avoid the taxi, and hotel sharks in the airport if you prepared to stay there all night. Simply wear a long sleeve shirt because most Indians wear the same during the winter time, and anybody that sees you dressed like that would assume that you're leaving the country. It worked for me the last time when I went.
Also there is waiting hall on the Ground flloor, cost you 60 Rs, and could get some snacks and coffee at inflatable price.
If you think that you could manage for some local food, which is on the Second floor. It is Staff canteen, but anyone is welcome. There you could taste your first Indian meal. Hard to find, so ask for some direction.
Catch a taxi at prepaid booth, and best time to travel into the city would be around 7 AM. Your hotel is at your choice, and no nonsence approach. From 450 Rs to 800 Rs possible to find in Colaba area. For 450 Rs you get just a windowless room, some single bed, and few nails on the wall. The more expensive room are bigger, but not as bright as you may think. Shop around, and find your best place.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb