Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Blogs from Orchha
Latest Blogs from Orchha
- February 27th 2013 Aneirin's Last Day - Agra and some highly exciting news
by Words: 2307 Photos: 0
- September 25th 2012 Orchha: Upper class and tempo
by Words: 1472 Photos: 0
- April 1st 2012 Orchha, Madhya Pradesh, India
by Words: 1036 Photos: 20
- February 7th 2012 Copious amounts of love, for Delhi and Mom
by Words: 1831 Photos: 9
- November 16th 2011 THE RIGHT TO EDUCATION IN INDIA (2nd part): SOME HOPE FOR THE FUTURE?
by Words: 563 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2011 And the gods answered our rain dance....
by Words: 317 Photos: 4
- May 31st 2011 Way too close to the sun....
by Words: 1253 Photos: 3
- January 19th 2011 On the banks of the Betwa
by Words: 166 Photos: 8
- November 11th 2010 Orchha-INDIA
by Words: 224 Photos: 0
- April 3rd 2010 Orchha - a little side trip!
by Words: 491 Photos: 21
- October 20th 2009 Day 4 - Orchha
by Words: 739 Photos: 13
- October 13th 2009 Day 3 - Orchha
by Words: 442 Photos: 8
- October 10th 2009 Ochra and then some!
by Words: 490 Photos: 13
- October 10th 2009 Butterfly Lassis in Orchha
by Words: 2928 Photos: 33
- June 9th 2009 ORCHHA AND KHAJURAHO
by Words: 817 Photos: 25
- April 7th 2009 India Trip Day 6 - Orchha
by Words: 661 Photos: 13
- April 6th 2009 India Trip Day 5
by Words: 333 Photos: 4
- January 24th 2009 Día 22. Orchha
by Words: 1685 Photos: 41
- December 31st 2008 New Year Celebrations - Indian style and a cooking class
by Words: 471 Photos: 9
- December 15th 2008 Bad Food, Good fun.
by Words: 919 Photos: 6