Kovalam, Ashram and Varkala


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala
December 18th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We ended up taking a taxi from Kanyakumari to Kovalam where we spent a few days. It was nice although there wasn't much of a beach...
Then we decided to get spiritual and went to the Sivananda Ashram in Neyyar Dam where we spent 4 days doing yoga, meditating and chanting. A pretty intense experience indeed in a place with lots of rules and restrictions.
Monia liked it so much that she later decided to go back and do a whole month of yoga teacher training (entry to come soon). Kiki got a great introduction to yoga, but thought that four days in such a strict, controlled environment was more than enough, especially as the food was so so so bland and boring.
From here we headed to Varkala which was simply lovely. Set on a cliff by the sea side we just couldn't bring ourselves to move our asses. We began to realise that we are starting to get tired of constantly being on the move...


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

KovalamKovalam
Kovalam

Indian guys staring at girls in bikinis...
KovalamKovalam
Kovalam

We went to this hotel and asked if we could please use their beach as we did not feel comfortable sunbathing on the public beach with the way the guys in the previous picture were behaving.
Sivananda AshramSivananda Ashram
Sivananda Ashram

Our day out of the ashram. Shyam took us for a walk and to the nearby crocodile farm...
Sivananda AshramSivananda Ashram
Sivananda Ashram

Shyam and Monia
Sivananda AshramSivananda Ashram
Sivananda Ashram

Crocodile Farm. We felt sorry for these crocodiles in their small cages...


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb