Location, Location, Location.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
January 17th 2012
Published: January 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Varkala BeachVarkala BeachVarkala Beach

From Cliff Top.
We had decided to move to a beach resort called Varkala about 25 kilometres north of Trivandrum. We knew nothing about Varkala and, looking on the internet, most hotels were fully booked. Finally, we chose a hotel, based on internet reviews, with a vacancy and arrived by taxi which cost 1500 rupees (£19). At last we had hit the jackpot with the Green Palace. There could be many places to stay that were away from town and this we found would be a problem at Varkala, but somebody says it is “location, location, location” and we were right in the centre of the strip and the beach.





Our days were now taken up by breakfast, Michelle sunbathing and Terry reading under a parasol, back to the hotel, showering and going out for evening meal. An elephant fest was advertised and we decided to go along for a change. We feared the worst, was this a few elephants doing tricks for the tourists? We were pleasantly surprised that this was an annual event in the local villages, where floats and elephants are paraded around the villages during a 4 day festival. Hundreds of people were there, few were white. This was the last day and there were 13 elephants dressed up; each appeared to have a holy man on its back and together with several ‘floats’ and men in massive head dresses, they assembled in the village square before setting out on the day’s parade.





Strange things happen on the beach:



Firstly, all sunbeds and parasols cost 150 rupees (£2) each i.e. £4.50 per day and we were staying for 15 days. No negotiation by the ‘mafia’ gang. Terry decided a trip into town was necessary where he bought a plastic chair (350 rupees) for him and a yoga mat for Michelle. We had to rent a parasol!



Secondly, there are no Indian lads on the beach. We know a lot come and look at girls in bikinis, but then so do many western men. Here, they are banned by the sunbed ‘mafia’ and the lifeguards; any who venture are sent back where they came from. We understand all the reasons but it is their country and we tried to imagine the same thing happening in the UK e.g. “Torquay beach banned to white British men,
Typical TouristTypical TouristTypical Tourist

About to go on an Elephant Fest
only Asians allowed”. Think what the Daily Mail would make of that!







If you like sunbathing, playing in the waves, or enjoying Indian ‘arts’ with lots of restaurants serving good, inexpensive food and drink, then Varkala would be a fantastic place to holiday. If you are looking for something else then you may be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

'Special Tea''Special Tea'
'Special Tea'

Served in mugs or teapots to avoid laws regarding the selling of beer.


17th January 2012

Thankyou
I had been looking forward to your new entry to your holiday blog and i love your honesty, you certainly dont gloss over things as a lot of people do when they have been on holiday. This last stop certainly sounds just the ticket to finish off your travels, sun sea and good food. Enjoy your last few days hope England isnt too cold and damp for you when you return. xx

Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb