Southbound soiree


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
March 22nd 2010
Published: March 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post


Mark Twain, wrote the words: “India … the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for all the shows of all the rest of the globe combined”.



We have spent 3 nights in Fort Cochin the gateway to Southern India and the backwaters where I write now. We are sailing the backwaters on a houseboat that has been made in the traditional rice barge style. It is weaved from palm leaves and bamboo wood . The boat sports a kitchen, 3 bedrooms with bathrooms and a flat screen TV. We will spend the day here and have a lunch of fresh fish prepared for us. In Fort Cochin we toured the oldest Christian church in India, a synagogue in a town called Jew town ( not very PC by our standards) with only 4 Jews worshiping there and what is known as the Dutch palace there are no Dutch here either.. The palace was for the local royal family. The state of Kerala has many different cultures and customs from the food, style of dress even the language, which is Called Mayalalayum (sp) We stopped for a drink at the juice bar near the Chinese fishing nets and met 3 high school boys who were looking to chat and practice their English. We talked about all sorts of things, that they come from fisherman families and work part time at the juice bar to save to go to the University , the music they liked and the semester at sea boat that had pulled into town last week. When Frank said he’d love to try to drive a tuk tuk , they made a call to a cousin and made it happen. We took a ride out to the naval base and he tuk tucked down the street. We ended our time in Fort Cochin with a fancy Euro /Indian fusion meal with Indian classical music performed live.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb