Torin's overnight Trip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Torin arrives in India after I waited two hours at the new flash international airport. He had a week by himself while Andrea was crazy busy finishing off reports and meeting deadlines. After a few nights in Bangalore and some sleep in’s off to Mysore he went….on the wrong train, wrong carriage, but got to Mysore ahead of the one he was meant to be on.

At the Mysore station waiting for lost and bemused international travelers was Ravi, Torin’s personal driver/guide for the two days. 1,200 INR’s per day. He starting the day north of Mysore at Srirangapathnam were he visited Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace, fort and underwater jail. He very quickly discovered that you have to pay rupees for everything - parking, camera, checkpoints, guides and entry.

Passing paddy fields and sugar cane plantations, he safely arrived at Brindavan Water Gardens (a deadly mosquito heaven) which were spectacular and amazing! One side of the gardens was bordered by a 4km dam. At night fall the musical fountain erupted to Indian pop music, which was nice but didn’t compare to the rest of the gardens. Deet saved T from any mosquito bites.

On the return journey, Ravi, questioned Torin’s non-marital status and enlightened him on his perspective on Indian marriage and life. Spent the night almost by himself, at the ornate Lalitha Mahal Palace Hotel perched overlooking Mysore city - a Maharaja Palace built for his mistress.

Started next day with 9am dosa - YUMMY! Traditional Indian breakfast, which is sort of like a pancake made from ground rice which comes in all types of flavours. Torin and Ravi went up Chamundi Hill - dirty, touristy, beggars and terrible view - the only good thing was walking down the 1000 steps to meet Ravi again.

The Mysore palace was very impressive. The ballroom had stained glass domed depicting peacocks. The rest of the palace had beautiful wood carvings, some of them covered in gold and others inlaid in ivory also ceiling paintings depicting local animals, birds, astrology and gods.

Overall, Mysore is a very enjoyable and relaxed destination. Allocating 3 or 4 days in Mysore is very do-able and recommended.


Ravi - a very recommended tour guide for in and around Mysore (with good English). Details: pc_ravi2003@yahoo.co.in; mobile: 988 053 6994 or 984 493 6994



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Tipu's Fathers TombTipu's Fathers Tomb
Tipu's Fathers Tomb

North of Mysore
Underwater JailUnderwater Jail
Underwater Jail

Tipu's Fort
Ravi's TaxiRavi's Taxi
Ravi's Taxi

Over old railway bridge
Brindavan Water Gardens Brindavan Water Gardens
Brindavan Water Gardens

stairs and shrine


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb