Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
November 15th 2011
Published: November 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hampi seems like weeks ago, time is really weird out here.

We left Goa to get an early morning train to Hampi. We literally had no idea how to catch this train, so we trekked up and down the platforms asking people and looking for other travellers. My first experience of Delhi Belly was about to kick in so with half an hour to wait, no toilets and no clue where to stand I was not in best spirits. And then the train got delayed. Anyways after seriously contemplating the tracks as ways to relieve myself from the agony the train arrived yay!! The journey was uneventful. Trains are great though all day you just get people wandering up and down selling tea and food!

We got to Hospet and claimed two rickshaws to get us to Hampi as no cars are allowed. Which actually turned out to be hilarious as everyone races there to get the limited accommodation. Wacky races it certainly was, not for the faint hearted! Ciaran found a good cheap guest house so we agreed and moved in. Much to my delight the shared bathrooms turned out to be sqwats (or holes in the ground, but nice holes). Now our Jodie has never seen one never mind used one, to which me and Heather found hilarious!

I forgot to mention Heather's first sqwat (like a right of passage in the travel world) It was on our way to Goa and she was desperate. After a first failed attempt I coaxed her into a second (using Shee-wee) and after about 10 mins she won! Now this particularly delightful set of toilets had am open cesspit next to it and was smelly enough to skin a banana. So I did fell bad for her (a bit)

Back to Hampi which much to Ciarans disappointment is non-alcoholic and non-meat. Great!! First day we hired a rickshaw to take us around all the ancient ruins, which was amazing. The scenery looks like a double for where the Flintstones live. All this put Heather on her first 'Natural High' (direct quote)

Heather's high was soonly ruined the next day when we decided to hire bikes and be healthy and get some exercise. We had to carry them down across boulders to cross the river in a boat that was being bailed out constantly. We biked to some bloody temple and back which was hot, sweaty, bumping and full of goats. However we made the 5 miles couldnt be arsed to walk up to the temple so got a coconut and waited for Ciaran to come back.

Annnnd we went to the really cool temple in the middle of the village/town where Heather and Ciaran got blessed by an elephant and me and Jodie wanted to keep our ten rupees and not get conned like a fooooooool!!!

Erm we left the next day for Jalgoan after having some delcious veg food (we managed to sniff out some alcohol).
















Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb