14) Bangalore - the IT capital of India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
March 7th 2005
Published: March 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Our next destination was originally not planned, but was worth the detour. No, we are not running out of money yet and Stephan has not begun another IT job. We went there for the Mark Knopfler concert. We had been sad about missing his tour in Europe but were very lucky that we managed to see him there. Your authors as well as their camera took a western break, so we cannot offer you any pictures for this city. We went to the Palace Grounds early and purchased the tickets, the cheaper ones for Rs 1000 (about EUR 20), we could not afford the more expensive ones for Rs 2500. This is a price you would consider normal for Europe or the USA, but we found it extremely expensive for India. Still, quite many of these tickets had been sold, and not only to foreigners. Bangalore is the place where you hardly find women in sarees or men in dhotis (except at the bus stand), at the concert all the girls wore jeans and t-shirts. The public was astonishingly young for the music of the Dire Straits and astonishingly they spoke to each other in English. The concert was a magical event, in the end we did not pay our "money for nothing".

Next day we strolled around the shopping area (and of course we could not resist the temptation) before taking the overnight train. We were feeling like on a different planet! Modern shopping malls, cafeterias, many internet cafes with fast connections and modern equipment, this could practically have been anywhere in Europe or the USA. Our next destination is again a cultural one, there will be more for you to see and read.

After Bangalore we could not find really good places for uploading the pictures until Rajasthan, and so we are lagging a little behind in our entries, especially with the pictures. We are trying to catch up, hoping that we will find decent computers for as longer period now. Thank you for your patience.


Advertisement



18th September 2005

English as Lingua Franca
I am not surprised that the only language in which the people (from all over India) who end up in the IT capital of India can mutually communicate is English! (As a person of Indian antecedents resident in the UK I have to admit I am fluent only in English - ditto all my nephews and nieces!) Anyway I am enjoying reading your blog very much and hope you continue to have a good time on your travels! At least this Sunday was well spent having discovered www.travelblog.org!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb