Shimla - Himalayas


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
September 30th 2011
Published: October 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We caught the train from Delhi up to Kalka on normal chair class train. Took us about 4/5hrs to get there. Plenty leg room and we were served tea, coffee and breakfast all included in the price of approx £9 each. We then changed at Kalka on to the toy train (which means their narrow mountain train) and made the 5hr scenic journey towards the town of Shimla in the Himalayas. The train was a little uncomfortable and basic with only squat toilets but you are in a small carriage where everyone is all friendly with each other. The scenery as you make your way up is amazing. You pass through narrow villages, waterfalls, huge drops. You can even lean out of the door on your way up which was great for cooling down in the 30c heat. Once in Shimla the temperature is a lot cooler so more bearable. We stayed at the YMCA in a private double with shared bathroom. Clean, large rooms and price includes breakfast. We paid 650rps per night which is around £9 which compared to most other hotels was pretty cheap. The town itself is built into the hill side with a lots of pedestrian areas to walk around with markets stalls and shops selling everything from electronics, books, clothes, toys. Spent all day just wondering the streets browsing at all the shops and people watching. Shimla is full of monkeys just wondering around. If you are holding any food then they have been known to be bold enough to take it from you but we had no trouble, they were just really cute. One monkey up a tree even peed on a group of men sat under a tree which was really funny. We was gong to hike up to the monkey temple which was around 45min walk but I was put off as you were advised to buy a stick to beat off all the monkeys, I was also told not to wear my glasses as the monkeys will take them. I changed my mind after that and just viewed the temple from Shimla town!!
Next day we caught the two trains back to Delhi which took 13 hours all together. As the chair class was already fully booked we had to go into second class. Second class has no air con and you are sat on long benches that fit 3 people.
Hotel with a viewHotel with a viewHotel with a view

Overlooking Shimla and the Himalayas
The windows of the train can be opened so it was never hot but there was forever beggers up and down the train and people selling food so I wouldn't say it was a relaxing journey either.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Man for hireMan for hire
Man for hire

Man moving a wardrobe. People pay other people to move items for them up and down the hills of the town


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb