On the way from Manali to Leh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Keylong
August 12th 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Next morning…the unthinkable happened…I was robbed in my Hotel room in Manali…the Hotel was bang in the middle of the city, yet my camera, mobile and wallet vanished while I was sleeping at night. (thanks to Mojitos at a quaint lovely restaurant the previous dinner, I was sleeping like a baby) Heaven help….was a camera I purchased with a lot of love. The Manali police were prompt in checking how the theft happened, but well….I haven’t got a call from them as yet.


Nevertheless we set out to catch the 11.00 am bus after having half a Dimox…which thankfully our mate Guru…the medicine cum computer lover from Bangalore had remembered to get. We had no idea that a Dimox saved us from altitude sickness as we climbed from 4000 to 18000 ft and stayed over night at Keylong on the way at 11000 ft. We considered ourselves lucky as we met a poor german from Harvard who had turned blue and took 3 days to recover from Altitude sickness in Leh.

The drive was breathtaking and thanks to James, a South African who was sitting beside me….I had a ball as the guy was an amazing conversationalist. Well I must however mention that one must always look up and never down as you see a deep valley and no road and are forced to wonder where the hell were the tyres of the bus. All our lives depended on HP tourism and we all prayed they recruited the right drivers. Our driver was no less than James Bond…with a beedi in one hand and the steering wheel in the other…he was the epitome of confidence.

With little hiccups like a streams flowing on the road…we reached Keylong our destination for the night at 7.00pm and were ordered to be ready next day by 4.00am to start out for Leh.

An interesting stay…the highlights of which was my walk alone in the mountains and dinner arguments between Guru and James…am sure Gandhi from heavens must be saying…guys…..guys chill…..


Advertisement



28th May 2007

got robbed?
dude,that could've been the worst unexpected thing under the sun... iam assuming you had some friends to cover the losses... good luck next time... :)

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb