Gems and cake in Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Haryana » Gurgaon
November 26th 2009
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear all, it's me again.

Maria and I live for the weekends. We try to ignore the diseased animals, rubbish, smoke and local idiots that surround us everyday and break free for weekends of drinking and luxury. Ok we drink a bit during the weekdays, you have to. But we never drink alone!

Last weekend we decided to head back to the textile heartland of India, if not the world, Jaipur. There our great friend Vicky was to celebrate her birthday without her husband Bertie (who is stuck in London installing a kitchen). Vicky LIVES in Jaipur and runs a very successful travel company there called India Beat (check it out if ever you want a bespoke, no hassle Indian adventure). We were determined to get her drunk and take her partying but instead she did the same to us.

We arrived by 2nd class AC sleeper train late on Friday and were immediately whisked by her driver to a rooftop bar with open fires, snack and salsa dancing. Just the answer to a loong week at the office.

Saturday was already fully planned too - Vicky is the plan master - so we began with an incredible brunch followed by a visit to the world famous Jaipur Gem Palace. This is truly a discovery; a shop scattered, dripping with unbelievable jewelry creations that you can try on freely to your hearts content. Even a guy like me was mesmerised by the range of glittery things, especially when Maria draped them acquisitorily all over herself... BIll Clinton shopped here as did Princess Di and the last British Viceroy, Monty. There are pieces from 10 to 1 million dollars.

We soon recovered with some beers (Fosters - less glycerine) while Vicky laid out further plans for the evening.

And so at nine o'clock we ascended onto the roof terrace of a C list Hollywood celebrity called Megan something. No idea who she is but boy, does she know how to throw a party..! There was a portable tandoor, Norwegian salmon, wine (lots) and Rajastani gypsy band. There, we were told by a swaggering Megan, was the creme de la creme of Japiur society. To be honest that doesn't really mean so much aside from Vicky - erstwhile princess of Rajastan. There was a sculptor, a hotel owner, manager of the Gem palace and a few apparently notable rich kids and businessmen. But we had a ball and lots of cake all over the place. 😊

Sunday was quiet, for the obvious reasons...h u n g o v e r.

But it wasn't long before health was restored by lassis in an old hotel garden. By then it was soon time to leave, on a plane from the Jaipur's domestic terminal, which is not worth mentioning except for the fact that we saw a huge kite (bird of prey) swoop down and snatch up a mouse right next to our feet while sipping chai at an outdoor cafe. What the?!

More from me again soon. Big love from us both. XX









Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb