Sabramati Ashram


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad
August 25th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was in Ahmedabad on Friday, 24 Aug 2007, for work and had some free time in the afternoon. I visited the Sabramati Ashram where Mahatma Ghandi lived from 1918 to 1930. It was here that he developed many of his philosophies and coordinated the early stages of India's strugle for independence from the British. On 12 March 1930, Gandhi left the ashram to begin the Dandi March to the Gulf of Cambay to protest the givernment monopolies on the production and sale of salt. He vowed not to return to the ashram until India was free and never again lived here after his departure.

The house where he lived as well as his room with its simple furnishings can be visited as can several locations he used for prayer and meditation. There is an excellent library which contains a copy of a letter Gandhi sent to Adolph Hitler on 23 July 1939 asking Hitler to pull back from war. A very well organized museum presents a pictoral view of Gandhi's life and the evolution of his philosophies.

I have created a photo gallery with a some photos from the ashram - enjoy!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb