Friends & Family in Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Varca
December 11th 2010
Published: December 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Darjeeling - Goa - Delhi


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Special poiing. 22 secs
Our last evening in Darjeeling was spent at the lookout point watching the sun set and the colours of Kanchenjunga go from white to orange to red to purple. It was an amazing way to end a fantastic eight days getting to know a unique town full of colour and life.

The following day, with our bags packed and belly full of cornflakes and hot milk (not had that since I was a kid!) we jumped in our jeep to start the three and a half hour journey out of the mountains to Bagdogra airport. Thankfully this was during daylight because we not only got to see some spectacular scenery but the driver also got to see the edge of the road - quite important when passing other vehicles and you’re only inches away from falling hundreds of feet. As we reached the plains at the bottom the temperature increased dramatically and soon we felt our bones starting to warm up again.

We had two very good flights over to Mumbai (via Calcutta) where we were met by a driver from the hotel we were staying in for just one night. A brilliant little place which catered for your every need, room service for no extra cost… quite necessary we found out the next day when we emerged to be driven back to the airport only to find that we were staying in a place that could easily be described as slum-esque. All the same, we felt 100%!s(MISSING)afe and looked after. So onwards to catch our flight to Goa.

Due to a little bit of a mistake made by yours truly we landed in Goa a few days before we were supposed to be meeting MAD Lee (MumAndDad is what my Dad signs at the end of messages - quite apt we think). After a bit of re arranging flights and extending hotel stays we found ourselves in the vicinity of a few friends and an evening to meet up with them. It’s been months since we’ve seen anyone familiar, it was fantastic to catch up being surrounded by people who know you. Bob, Bob (aka Si and Clare), Stan and Helen.. with hats and arm wrestles and press ups and singing and dancing (was there dancing?) we found Goa to be a fabulous venue for a jolly good knees up.

The next day (after a
Ladies with tea bagsLadies with tea bagsLadies with tea bags

Once we'd decended on to the flats below Darjeeling we saw a big long line of ladies taking their tea pickings off to be weighed.
bit of a lie in) we packed our bags and set sail, in a taxi, 2km down the road to meet up with MAD. It had been ten months to the day since we all said goodbye in snowy old Blighty. For four days we ate great food, drank awesome cocktails (so many we're starting to look like a cocktail), played games and went to the beach. Needless to say we’ve been spoilt rotten and by the time we’d left we’d grown accustomed to this five star/all inclusive malarkey. Some may think it’s irresponsible to introduce this as a way of travel and then allow their precious children to continue in any other way. Others may think that we should be endlessly thankful. We both feel the latter, of course.

So, we said our goodbyes yesterday morning where Steve and I made our way to the airport to, once again, head up north to Delhi. Yes, we know, we know, our route doesn’t make sense.

We’re now in the Paharganj area where the hustle and bustle of the streets outside is everything we expected Delhi to be. Small food stalls and tiny little hole-in-the-wall shops that sell everything
A camp on the run wayA camp on the run wayA camp on the run way

We had to wait half an hour on the runway in Calcutta. It gave us a perfect view of a couple of guys who had camped out on the run way, changing their clothes, having a cup of tea. Amazing.
from phones to mattresses. Tiny alley ways that go on endlessly, lined with fires cooking all sorts of Indian delights and where cows with really big horns are freely meandering.

As exciting as Delhi is and with more adventure to follow, seeing our friends and family has been wonderful and has made us look forward to coming home even more.

Lots of love

Pina Colada & Bloody Mary

XxXxX

P.S. Has anyone got a car we can borrow when we get home? It shouldn't be for more than a couple of months.

P.P.S. We are quite happy to accept chauffeur driven limos too.




Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Our hotel before meeting up with M&DOur hotel before meeting up with M&D
Our hotel before meeting up with M&D

We'd originally booked the blue place next door.. until we saw the pool. No contest.
I'm closer than you thinkI'm closer than you think
I'm closer than you think

We hired a moped which Steve drove.
Bob and BobBob and Bob
Bob and Bob

aka Si and Clare
BobBob
Bob

Thumbs up!
Snowy BlightySnowy Blighty
Snowy Blighty

Thankfully Gatwick opened the day before (taken by M&D.. just in case you were wondering) :O)
Dubai from the skyDubai from the sky
Dubai from the sky

Taken by M&D on their way to India
The Fig and OliveThe Fig and Olive
The Fig and Olive

or was it The Pig and Whistle or The Fig and Tiger... Mum couldn't quite get it right.


11th December 2010

I'm so pleased everything went well for all of you. I look forward to hearing all Rose's news. Keep safe & lots of lovex
11th December 2010

Hi Joan
Thank you! xx
13th December 2010

Precious memories
This lovely blog will remind us of a wonderful few days. You are both such good company; we loved our time together and look forward to your return. lots of love and keep safe. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
14th December 2010

Thanks!
You're not so bad yourselves. xxx
17th February 2011

goa guide
Its a great blog with huge information and colorful pictures of Goa. so reading out this is really very nice.

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb