Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Vagator
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Vagator
Latest Blogs from Vagator
- February 26th 2013 Rider Mania "12
by Words: 1678 Photos: 8
- January 9th 2013 So, here we go!
by Words: 268 Photos: 0
- December 20th 2010 Vagator and Margao
by Words: 1281 Photos: 5
- December 17th 2010 Cat on the Porch
by Words: 2106 Photos: 0
- December 17th 2010 A cockroach and some water
by Words: 526 Photos: 0
- December 16th 2010 New House
by Words: 2249 Photos: 0
- December 10th 2010 The past few days...
by Words: 2128 Photos: 0
- December 10th 2010 Some Random Updates
by Words: 905 Photos: 0
- December 5th 2010 Sorry sights whilst making friends
by Words: 998 Photos: 0
- December 4th 2010 Vagator Vagueness
by Words: 1549 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2010 Goa. best place ever.
by Words: 401 Photos: 22
- April 12th 2010 Vagator (Disco Valley)
by Words: 243 Photos: 10
- March 16th 2010 The very auspicious holi, or Happy Indian New Year!
by Words: 591 Photos: 4
- March 12th 2010 Bangalore, our gateway to India
by Words: 542 Photos: 0
- March 12th 2010 Goa, Bollywood and the Great Muppet Caper
by Words: 1469 Photos: 0
- January 2nd 2010 Going, Goa, Gone
by Words: 926 Photos: 42
- November 22nd 2009 Settling in Goa
by Words: 734 Photos: 6
- November 20th 2009 ''that'll learn you''
by Words: 531 Photos: 5
- March 15th 2009 Final thoughts on India!
by Words: 1618 Photos: 10
- November 6th 2008 Little Vagator Beach
by Words: 545 Photos: 20