Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Blogs from Calangute
Latest Blogs from Calangute
- January 28th 2013 Travels with Satish (3 Weeks) – Goa; Satara, Ajanta, Ellora & Pune (Maharashtra) – Part 1
by Words: 3253 Photos: 40
- July 17th 2012 Must do things before you turn 30
by Words: 558 Photos: 0
- December 27th 2011 GOA
by Words: 426 Photos: 13
- December 26th 2011 Fun in the Sun and an Indian New Year in Goa
by Words: 2194 Photos: 74
- August 21st 2011 Goa - Sun Kissed Beaches
by Words: 486 Photos: 0
- June 11th 2011 The Beach City - Goa!
by Words: 289 Photos: 5
- April 10th 2011 Golden Goa
by Words: 1479 Photos: 28
- November 17th 2010 Nepal and India so far...
by Words: 979 Photos: 17
- November 6th 2010 Sorry Updates Coming
by Words: 120 Photos: 0
- November 4th 2010 My Trip to Goa
by Words: 198 Photos: 0
- March 22nd 2010 GOA Five OH
by Words: 2917 Photos: 35
- March 30th 2009 Goa and Children Walking Tall
by Words: 1321 Photos: 0
- March 3rd 2009 Hello taxi...
by Words: 223 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2009 We made it- to Tenerife
by Words: 969 Photos: 0
- January 28th 2009 Beggining of an Indian Adventure
by Words: 908 Photos: 15
- December 14th 2008 Suprise visit to Goa!
by Words: 1582 Photos: 39
- December 10th 2008 Shanti Nature Resort in Goa
by Words: 205 Photos: 3
- December 3rd 2008 Another Trip to India!
by Words: 269 Photos: 5
- November 19th 2008 Goa 2007
by Words: 13 Photos: 1
- June 10th 2008 Indian Princess
by Words: 297 Photos: 0