Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Blogs from Anjuna Beach
Latest Blogs from Anjuna Beach
- April 29th 2013 Anjuna, Goa
by Words: 715 Photos: 4
- April 27th 2013 Kochi to Goa. Theme tune: 'Walking on Broken Glass'.
by Words: 1604 Photos: 0
- January 18th 2013 A little trip to North Goa Beaches
by Words: 496 Photos: 0
- January 17th 2013 Give A Tutorial ! :P
by Words: 47 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2013 Anjuna - part 3
by Words: 417 Photos: 10
- January 8th 2013 Anjuna - part 1
by Words: 304 Photos: 4
- January 8th 2013 Anjuna - part 2
by Words: 455 Photos: 4
- August 31st 2012 Hooray for Bollywood!
by Words: 1026 Photos: 11
- February 25th 2012 I <3 Hampi!
by Words: 1074 Photos: 0
- November 4th 2011 On the road again..
by Words: 361 Photos: 3
- November 1st 2011 Chillin in Purgatory
by Words: 502 Photos: 1
- March 26th 2011 Diary of a colon cleanse
by Words: 1062 Photos: 0
- March 15th 2011 Sneaky Fucking Russians...
by Words: 704 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2011 Yoga in Goa
by Words: 91 Photos: 0
- February 24th 2011 Selfreflection
by Words: 79 Photos: 1
- January 16th 2011 Goa fun and games
by Words: 1335 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2010 Christmas Eve and the Indian Post Office
by Words: 2647 Photos: 0
- December 22nd 2010 Double bank let-down
by Words: 1460 Photos: 0
- December 14th 2010 New Face
by Words: 1551 Photos: 0
- December 12th 2010 #28 - Goa [8 months in!]
by Words: 473 Photos: 0