India is growing on us!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Daman & Diu
October 21st 2007
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello to everyone,
Today, I write from the island of Diu. It is a quaint ex-Portugese place in the Arabian Sea. We plan to stay here for about 10 days to relax before preparing to split up for a month. After 3 months together non-stop, it will be a bit hard to part. India is getting easier to handle. I am beginning to "get" how it works here. I am also getting used to bus travel, which can range from overcrowded and bumpy to smooth and comfy. There is no way to tell what you might get, so you must be prepared for anything.
The pictures that I am attaching are from two places.
The first ones are from a small town called Pushkar. It is set on a holy lake and is where Ghandi's ashes were sprinkled. We found a very chilled out hotel just outside town. It had a pool and a very lush garden area. We were ecstatic about both because it is also in the desert. We met two really nice Norwegian guys at our hotel and went on a camal "safari" with them. We rode camels out of the city and stayed overnight at the camel owners family home. It was not really the desert experience we expected, but we had a blast. The camel guy and his friends played music and his sister-in-law cooked us dinner. Camels are really crazy animals. They fart constantly, which makes the experience even more hilarious.
The second group of photos is from Udaipur. It is a beautiful city, also set on a lake. It was very nice and we ended up staying longer than expected. We visited the city palace and a peaceful park in the middle of another lake. We met some Israelis raised in the US and went to a dance performance with them. I think Udaipur is my favorite place in India, thus far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Musicians Musicians
Musicians

Pushkar
Rachel and her Shanti camelRachel and her Shanti camel
Rachel and her Shanti camel

They told me this camel was very "shanti" which means peaceful. I think that was a nice way to say old and tired
Sean the Camel RacerSean the Camel Racer
Sean the Camel Racer

Sean learned to make his camel run.
Camel callCamel call
Camel call

Our camel driver talks on his mobile phone!
Kid Dressed as King Kid Dressed as King
Kid Dressed as King

Nehru Park is in the middle of a lake. It was very beautiful and we were the main attraction with Indian tourists.
Traditional Rajahstani dancingTraditional Rajahstani dancing
Traditional Rajahstani dancing

Udaipur and Pushkar are in the state of Rajahstan. These women dance with fire on their heads.
Paani DancePaani Dance
Paani Dance

Paani means water. This woman danced all over with these pots on her head!


21st October 2007

sean: how many lbs. have you dropped? be honest. looks unreal over there.
21st October 2007

Wow!
Sounds like you guys are having a great time. We all miss you and can't wait to see you in person to hear of your adventures! Have fun this week and remember...absence makes the heart grow fonder. The time will fly by and you'll be back together before you know it. Love you guys, Chris and Sonya
21st October 2007

Happy Camel Farts!
22nd October 2007

Woah!
You Guys are awsome, I'm glad you guys are still safe, happy, and ready for new things. It was such a good time getting to know you and it's awsome to see that you guys are having such a good time. I'm jealous, all i do is study study study right now!
22nd October 2007

The boys love seeing all of the pictures from your adventures! Especially love Sean in purple! Looks like you are having the time of your lives. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb