We have arrived...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Dadra & Nagar Haveli
July 12th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after a ridiculous long time on planes, too much airoplane food, and no sleep we are in New Delhi. Oh so glad that we had arranged a private pickup from the airport. It was like nothing we had ever seen. We walked out and their are people everywhere. The first thing we did was buy water. Never been so glad to see my name on a piece of cardboard. The crowds are amazing and the heat it feels like you are sticking your head in a kettle to breathe. There are lanes on the roads but noone uses them. It's the honk and move method of driving. Our driver was very efficient at that. The only thing he slowed down for was a couple of braham bulls on the highway. Richie wishes that we could drive like that in Australia but I'm not to fond of that idea. The whole concept just blows my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive from the aiport to here. We got lost a couple of times. Richie and I got left in the taxi with the car running while driver man asked for directions.I was worried he was just going to leave us there, but we came to the conclusion that the car was too expensive.

We finally got the the institute where the first conference is being held and where we are staying. They of course new nothing about us, but after 20 minutes we had our room. It took three people to show us into our room, all of whom wanted to carry our luggage. They are very hospitable, we had bottled water, fruit, and sandwhiches waiting for us. Our room is clean, but I still wiped everything over with antibacterial wipes. The bed is the equivalent of sleeping on cement, but we both like hard mattresses so we aren't worried. I'm actually going to check to see if there is a mattress under the sheet or a piece of wood...

Today we think we will look around campus and get that down pat. We've got to get brave and adventure out, but maybe tomorrow... Got the first conference function on tonight so that should be good. Hopefully get some advice on how to travel around Delhi etc. I think we are a bit out of the city here and I want to go to the bazzars and have a look.

Bye Bye for now...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



12th July 2009

Hi Tiana and Ritchie Nice to know that you have arrived India safely. Please take things with an open mind and India will offer great enjoyment. If you are going to do shopping, take a local person with you. Otherwise, you will be ripped off. Please contact Sathi or Uma if you need help. You can also send a text message to me for any help. Have a great time in Delhi. Raj
13th July 2009

I'm on the link!! Good to be able to see what's happening. I think I know a good cure for the heat! What you need is a good hot curry and all else will seem pretty cool!! Trust all goes well for your presentation. Take care of each other. Love Aunty Carol
13th July 2009

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA the squirrel is hilarious!!!
14th July 2009

Glad you arrived in one piece!
Hey guys. Glad to see you've arrived and have jumped right in to the swing of things! I'll bet you were glad to get off the planes though. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up before you went, but was feeling pretty ordinary and in hind sight was probably best I didn't share anything. Hope you have a great time. Cheers, Annmaree

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb