Mumbai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Bihar
July 4th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nehru parkNehru parkNehru park

Ahmed, Maryam and myself with seniors.
MUMBAI;

Mumbai is an exhilarating city. High energy, India's economic powerhouse. It's an industrial hub, the centre for the Hindi film business. We booked a jeep for a guided tour. The driver started with the Indian Gate, eighty-five foot stone archway . Kamala Nehru park was next. Great views of the city from Chowpatty beach to Colaba. Across the street are the hanging gardens, decorated with lawns, flower bed arrangements and designer cut hedges. Pensioners exercised, others relaxed. We sat amongst them, one was given full attention to Maryam, an immensely attractive Iranian, a member of our group, and who could blame him wanting to sing a duet with her.

Then a laundry stop, but not just any wash n' dry. Mounds of clothing stacked in abundance amongst troughs of water. No fancy detergent here, a large bar of soap, a wall to beat the dirt out and lots of sheer hard work, the world's biggest laundry.

Mani Bhavan was an interesting house. In Malabar hill, on a tree lined street. The three-story yellow and brown home of Mahatma Gandhi. He lived here from 1917 to 1934. A library and a
Residence of Mahatma GandhiResidence of Mahatma GandhiResidence of Mahatma Gandhi

Sight-seeing With friends from Tanzania and Iran.
small museum on his life's work. His simple belongings are displayed in his room. The original copies of his bible, Koran and the Bhagavad Gita. Important letters from overseas in his fight for independence. Numerous photos adorn the walls......................

MUMBAI 2



In a yellow and black taxi we were maneuvering through the chaotic streets. The causeway in Coluba was my instruction. The cabbie was quick to ask "any coins from your country." A slick way to make a little extra cash, I was not obliging. The beggars did not waste an opportunity at the traffic lights. Some I gifted, others I ignored. One individual was head and shoulders above all other international vagrants. As we waited for a green light, i watched in amusement as he waived through the traffic.........................


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Colaba areaColaba area
Colaba area

A not so quiet street.
World's Largest LaundryWorld's Largest Laundry
World's Largest Laundry

No spin-dryers here or fabric softner. Hand soap scrubbing and beat the dirt out, off a concrete wall.
Victoria stationVictoria station
Victoria station

Trains to Goa, what time?
Goa, south IndiaGoa, south India
Goa, south India

Cows just roam.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb