"I don't want to watch Disney porn!"


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 24th 2012
Published: July 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With typhoon Vincent (apparently the worst Hong Kong has had in ten years) in full swing, we stayed in the safety of our rooms at Baptist University (the management had used masking tape to strengthen the canteen windows which I found particularly reassuring). <span><span>It would have been pretty silly to try to go anywhere; Rob (our director) had to come back from an outing with the residential team and said that the pavements were cracked in places and that tree and umbrellas were flying around. It sounded horrid from inside and to be honest I was quite scared (I’m a massive wimp), especially when I realised my roomie had accidently left her window open and there was paper flying about in our room. The window in the living room had broken and we decided to leave the room in fear of the window being pulled from its hinges and smashing inside (this seemed a genuine possibility on a fair few occasions).



So what did we do to pass the time? Personally I thought watching a film would have been a good option but some people had other ideas so we sang Disney songs (badly) and then at the mention of Disney porn I decided to get yet another epically early night hoping that the storm would have died down by the morning.



At 6am there was a loud banging on the door, typical me thought that we were getting evacuated so leapt out of bed in panic! It turned out Rob was just letting everyone know that we wouldn’t have to teach for the day as school’s are cancelled during weather warning T8 or above. I think we all appreciated the lie in!



By the time I got out of bed, the typhoon warning had been downgraded from T10 to T8, clueless as to the implications of this we decided to ask our good old friend Mr Google who told us that during T8 we should remain inside and make preparations for T10 – great. Fortunately by lunchtime the warning had finally been downgraded to T3 so, armed with my snapped umbrella and (not very) waterproof, I headed out for a day of sightseeing. The shear force of the typhoon was frightening- I almost felt as though I was in the jungle as I picked my way through the fallen branches littered with shredded umbrellas from people who must have been trying to get home, I even saw two poor little dead birds that appeared as though they had been blown into the wall.



We all survived unharmed (even if one girl did end up stranded in a five star hotel for the night), I’m just seriously praying that I don’t have to fly in weather conditions even half as bad as that!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb