Hong Kong & Macau


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
August 30th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

(August 25-29, 2012) Hong Kong is an incredible city. It is hectic, modern, amazing, vibrant, historic, and beautiful. The skyline is jaw-dropping, and the food is diverse and delicious. I spent 5 days in this world renowned city and got to see some great sights, including a day trip to Macau.

The first day, I spent it walking around the Kowloon Peninsula area of Chatham Rd. There are a number of great restaurants and western-styled pubs that provide amazing Happy Hour deals. The first evening I checked out the night market and sampled some of the food served in the crazy and hectic restaurants that pour into the street as people shop.

The second day I made my way out to Lantau Island. Numerous tourist attractions are located on the island, including Hong Kong Disneyland, Tai O fishing village, and Tung Chung Fort. My visit to the island only consisted on taking the cable car to Tian Tan Buddha. The 25-min ride on the cable car provides great views of the island and its surroundings. I got lost in the trails that lead to the tallest peak and enjoyed a quiet walk up to the Giant Buddha. A quick snack of tofu with bean curd got me set for my return to Hong Kong Island to head up to The Peak. The funicular/tram near Central Station takes under 10-min to get up to the cool-looking structure that provides an amazing view of the metropolis. The nightscape that Hong Kong offers is stunning to say the least.

I took a ferry to Macau on the third day of the trip and spent the day walking the city. The ferry takes an hour there and an hour back, and the round-trip ticket can be bought between 40-50 USD depending on the time of day. Macau has some great architecture, old and new, along with some incredible historical buildings. The food on the island has some Portuguese influences and is delicious. The day consisted of seeing the center of town, walking to the old fort, visiting the Grand Lisboa, trekking up to the old light house, and strolling through Fisherman’s Wharf.

The following day I walked through more of Kowloon and Harbour City. I also took a midday harbor tour on the famous Star Ferry. The one-hour loop of the harbor is relaxing, while providing some stunning views of Hong
Giant BuddhaGiant BuddhaGiant Buddha

On Lantau Isalnd
Kong Island. After some dinner and drinks, I walked down to the Avenue of Stars where a nightly laser show can be seen across the harbor. The night skyline of Hong Kong is spectacular. I was astonished at the beauty of the buildings and their lights. I sat and enjoyed the view for a while. I ended the night with another stroll through the night market. The last day was relaxing, with a walk to some of the museums and a great lunch before heading to the airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

On Cable CarsOn Cable Cars
On Cable Cars

Lantau Island


30th August 2012

HAPPY FOR YOUR TRIP
IM GLAD YOU WENT TO HONG KONG. I ALWAYS TOUGH, FOR THE PICTURES AND DOCUMENTALS, THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST EXOTICS CITIES ON THE WORLD. THE ARCHITECTURE IS FACINATING WITH THE BIG MONTAINS AS A BACKGROUND AND THE LITTLE FLAT SPACE TO BUILD. HOPE SOME DAY YOU CAN TELL ME ABOUT MORE DETAILS ABOUT. LOVE UNCLE

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb