Hong Kong - we had an offally good time!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 10th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dee 360 nollie heels 17 secs
Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

Design Exhibition
After a sleepless night time flight from Kathmandu (via Bangaladesh) we arrived in amazing, modern, clean Hong Kong airport and we were thrilled to used the clean western toilets with sanitising hand gel - such a luxury after India and Nepal! After a quick Burger King breakfast (don’t judge, we’re on a budget ;-) we got the efficient Airport Express to Kowloon. Travelling here is SO EASY!

Budget accomodation is hard to find in Hong Kong so we decided to try our luck at Chunking Mansions in Tsim Tsa Sui. We’d heard some terrible things about this place but we couldn’t afford anywhere else so had to go for it. After entering the cheapy shopping centre entrance on Nathan Road, we rode in the lift and found Tom’s Tourist Guest House in the rabbit warren of corridors and businesses on the 8th floor. We got a nice room for HK$ 200 per night (15 quid), bargain! This place is filled with people from all over the world, most of whom are trying to sell you a fake Rolex and it probably was a bit sketchy on reflection…….but we’ve stayed in Parah Ganj in Delhi………it was heaven for us!

We
HKHKHK

View
spent the weekend window shopping (it’s so expensive here although we did find M&S and H&M!), visiting The Peak on the old tram, riding the super long outdoor escalator in SOHO, trying to find skate spots and strolling through the beautiful parks. HK was hosting the East Asia Games and we were lucky enough to see the Opening Ceremony fireworks over stunning Victoria Harbour as well as the nightly skyscraper light show. There was a cool design exhibition by young HK designers taking place in a disused police residential building, which we went to look round too.

HK has some wonderful restaurants and bars. We had dim sum at a busy restaurant that had no English speakers or menu so we had to order by guess work, pointing and pictures alone. This turned out to be successful and we ate prawn dumplings, beef buns and pork in soy sauce. We also ate at a lovely Singaporian place in SOHO and instead of getting a pork spare rib soup to share, we ended up with pork offal soup……….we just ate and didn’t ask!

We loved our long weekend in HK. The place is so well kept, safe and easy
HKHKHK

Tree made of recycled wires and plugs
to get about. We liked the fact they had elaborate Christmas decorations everywhere and could find cafes that served baked beans and marmite and yet was still exotic and foreign to us. Feeling Christmasy, we treated ourselves to a little laptop before boarding our flight to our next destination…………..Bangkok, Thailand!



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HKHK
HK

Asia Games fireworks
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Subway
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Longest covered escalator in SOHO
HKHK
HK

Design Exhibition
HKHK
HK

Buddhist shrine and insense on a street corner
HKHK
HK

Design Exhibit, tured an old police barracks into a beach
HKHK
HK

Victoria Peak view
HKHK
HK

View
HKHK
HK

Tropical birds in Hong Kong Park aviary
HKHK
HK

Aviary
HKHK
HK

Viewing tower in the Tai Chi garden in HK Park
HKHK
HK

Wedding photos in HK Park......there were loads of just married couple and graduated students having photos here!
HKHK
HK

Tram station
HKHK
HK

Bank of China building
HKHK
HK

ah, shops galore
HKHK
HK

Offal soup
HKHK
HK

oh the joy of not being able to afford anything in this store.....
HKHK
HK

Our little room and new purchase!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb