Dali to Hong Kong via Yangshuo


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
June 18th 2013
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Headed south to the ancient city of Dali, with its impressive gateways and towering central pagoda and took a day-hike up into the surrounding Cang Shan mountain range for views over Erhai lake in the valley below. Scrambled beyond the usual tourist trails up overgrown paths up to a rocky landslide before heading down via peaceful Zonghe temple and its fusion of Buddhist-Tao imagery. Returning to our guest house enjoyed a handy mandarin lesson from our tour-leader, followed by a yak-burger meal and a few beers soaking up the atmosphere at a street-side bar.

Next was a fleeting visit to the nearby city of Kunming - chatted about chinese politics with a friendly retired engineer and watched a spectacular laser and fountain show at Green Lake Park, before flying out the next day from the giant, swish new airport.

Arrived into Yangshuo at night to be greeted by a heaving throng of local tourists celebrating the annual Dragon Boat festival. Spent a relaxed first day cruising down the Li river, the banks dotted with dramatic rocky limestone outcrops. Later that evening found a fun bar and joined the games of 'beer pong', throwing table-tennis balls into cups of water to make opponents down their drinks. Hired bikes the following day for a tour around the picture-book countryside, teetering along narrow muddy paths and watching water-buffalo ploughing the rice-paddy fields. Climbed the famous 'half-moon' hill with its rock arch for more scenic views (and a sweaty embrace posing for another photo with a friendly chinese tourist). In the evening watched a spectacular show from the director of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony, with a cast of over 600 people along with water-buffalo, cormorants, boats and floats illuminated over the river...

Early the next morning took a peaceful Tai Chi lesson in the local park, learning the principles and 10 basic moves from a flexible, master practitioner. Later wandered around the local markets before packing for the final long overnight train ride to Shenzhen, and transfer to Hong Kong.

A final group meal while sheltering from a heavy downpour was followed by watching the fairly tame skyscraper light show and then a few drinks in the lively expat area of Lan Kwai Fong. Staying with my friend in Hong Kong for a couple more days and completed a couple of challenging hikes in the sticky heat, firstly up 'West Peak' on Hong Kong island dodging the rain showers and then up to 'Tiger's head' peak starting from Discovery Bay on Lantau island. Next stop Bangkok and SE Asia...


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cliff pathCliff path
Cliff path

Cang Shan mountains
Puppy (cute)Puppy (cute)
Puppy (cute)

Cang Shan
Pretty lightsPretty lights
Pretty lights

Green Lake Park, Kunming
Tai ChiTai Chi
Tai Chi

Kunming
Lotus FlowerLotus Flower
Lotus Flower

Green Lake Park, Kunming
Li RiverLi River
Li River

Yangshuo
Rice harvestingRice harvesting
Rice harvesting

Near Yangshuo
Me on bikeMe on bike
Me on bike

Near Yangshuo


3rd July 2013
Overgrown path

hey!
who's that handsome guy?

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb