Day 23 - Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 1st 2010
Published: January 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Peaking OutPeaking OutPeaking Out

We took advantage of the clearest day of the trip to checkout the view from "The Peak". Provides an amazing perspective on how big this joint is.

Activities



Highlight(s)



* Breathtaking view back on the city from The Peak
* View of Hong Kong Island from Tsim Sha Tsui - the lights are spectacular

Odd Spot(s)



* Rode the Peak Tram for the descent back down the hill during which the tram felt as though it was all but free falling.


* Many of the householders in Hong Kong employ either Nannies or House Keepers. New Years Day (Friday) was a public holiday which meant that most people were at home for the day with no requirement for their Nanny or Housekeeper. Most of the house staff are from outside of Hong Kong, on low wages and it doesn't make sense for them to travel back to their homes for the day, so they all stayed in the city for the day/night. The public areas around Hong Kong were full of women having picnics. The sound of hundreds of women gossiping about their employers was pretty amazing when you walk by.



* We took a taxi back from
Red CabsRed CabsRed Cabs

Similar to Singapore the taxis are relatively cheap and not many locals have cars. There is no real need for cars - so most have them as a status symbol. What you see is; red cab, red cab, red cab, Porche, red cab, red cab, DB9, red cab, red cab, red cab, red cab, AMG.
the Temple Street Markets to the pier to catch the Ferry back to Hong Kong Island - where we're staying. On the way the traffic went from bad to grid lock. Many of the taxi drivers around us turned off their engines and got out of the car for some exercise and stretching. Our driver chatted to the one in front investigating what was going on. When he returned we asked, "What's happening?". He simply replied, "Two car - boomda boomda."



* Gelati count = 3
* Joc's shoe purchase count = 5 pairs
* Maps of Hong Kong count = 5



Weather


Some showers, min 16 / max 20 degrees






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Stanley MarketsStanley Markets
Stanley Markets

Markets around Stanley are the "upmarket" markets - if there is such a thing. Stanley is on the other side of the Island with some nice beaches and jungle covered hills.
View from the PeakView from the Peak
View from the Peak

Doesn't get any higher up than this. Hard to capture as a photo - there are skyscrapers as far as the eye can see.
The Peak TramThe Peak Tram
The Peak Tram

The tram is by far the quickest way back to Central. Basically because it free-falls down the mountain.
Girls Night OutGirls Night Out
Girls Night Out

On New Years Day many of the Nannies and Housekeeps were not required for work - but rather than incur the cost of travelling home, chose to stay in the city. This group were having a picnic and staying under the HSCB building.
ProtestProtest
Protest

On the way home from The Peak we walked by an organised street protest. Around 30-thousand Hong Kong residents spent the first day of 2010 by marching in the street, demanding democracy and the release of Liu Xiaobo.
KowloonKowloon
Kowloon

Typical street view in Kowloon. The streets have a real buzz.
Temple Street Night MarketsTemple Street Night Markets
Temple Street Night Markets

Wow - so many people, so much crap.
Lights on Hong Kong IslandLights on Hong Kong Island
Lights on Hong Kong Island

View of the Christmas lights on Hong Kong Island looking across from Kowloon.


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb