Tales of Hong Kong, Awkward Excursions


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Stanley
September 10th 2013
Published: September 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

In mid-October, Irish asked if I wanted to go with her and her colleague to a Mosque for a gathering of some kind; Ms Chan had been pretty vague on the details, but had insisted that Irish go with her, and Irish didn't want to go by herself, so I agreed that it would, at the very least, be interesting.

It turned out that the place was a Sikh Temple, and it wasn't a 'thing', it was an ordinary service.

The most embarrassing part was Ms Chan and her friends taking photos, posing and arranging themselves, getting in the way of everybody trying to worship and get on with her business. Ms Chan was also unable to put on a headscarf properly and ended up wearing it like a terrible bandanna that somehow managed to miss the majority of her head and left her bald patch exposed.

The food was delicious. I got chatting to one of the ladies, who was bursting with pride when she told me her daughter had finished Uni and was now working as a teacher in Aberdeen (HK, not Scotland). She was a little disappointed that her daughter hadn't yet got married, and was hoping for grandchildren.

After the Temple, we got on the bus to Stanley, a town on the southern tip of Hong Kong Island. Mrs Chan made the whole thing feel very, very long. She talked to me, ad nauseum, about something or another, and invited herself to our new place when we moved into it. Luckily for us, she never found out the address.

We walked through Stanley Plaza and found a music concert. Ms Chan's friend tried to explain the Tin Hau shrine to me. I had no idea what she was saying, but bless her, she tried her best to explain it to me. Ms Chan wanted to go on with her to Repulse Bay (which sounds awful, but is apparently a lovely place).

For some reason, Irish and I decided to stay with the music and Ms Chan left.

Advertisement



6th October 2013

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah crazy ol' miss lee n her poor pal __________ !!!What an embarrassing day!!!
24th October 2013

Photography
It is hard to balance wanting to get a great shot and being respectful of what is going on around you. We need to be sensitive to these issues. You've have a wonderful knack of chatting with people and they share their stories. Very nice. I love that.
27th October 2013

Hello!
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I love the photos you have of California, and am reading through your blog. The Bohemian Highway looks so beautiful that I will have to go one day!

Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb