Day in the Country


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Tbilisi District » Tbilisi
March 8th 2011
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Overlooks the Capital of TbilisiOverlooks the Capital of TbilisiOverlooks the Capital of Tbilisi

She welcomes visitors with wine and warns enemies with her sword. Locals say, "What she's truly saying is drink wine or die". Love it.
How clean is a whistle? I mean really.

Got a hold of a few pics from Yesterday.

We awoke this morning to Dali having breakfast ready, again. Bread, cheese, tea, coffee, and hot dogs were on the menu and we all dove in and respectfully filled our bellies.

It's hard to describe the day. We started out going to vineyard out in the country. It was an old farm, full of pigs, goats, a few sheep, and even less cows. There were two farm dogs, Basa and Schmeigel. Basa was a beast; she was the daughter of a wolf and a normal dog and it showed. They also had making wine down to a pretty good science and we were allowed to sample far too many different types by 11 in the morning. Having worked on a farm for a brief period of time and being frustrated with the equipment we had made me feel like a total chump. these guys get by with minimum equipment and what they do have they said was often broken without access to proper parts to fix.

After the vineyard we traveled further out into the country side and up into the mountains to visit the burial site of St. Nino at the bodbe Cathedral; the first female christain saint who apparently brought the Orthodox Christrian religion to Georgia with only a wooden cross in the first century. In the back of the old monastery lays her original grave, regardless of any personal beliefs it's a breathtaking sight that makes you appreciate the amount of respect she still holds today. Pictures weren't allowed and I managed to stand somewhere human beings also weren't allowed and got in a lot of trouble from the resident Nuns. I like to hold the lack of ropes and signs responsible for my trespassing.

The countryside is tough to take in. It's an entire country built upon an ideal and era that never realized its full potential or came into existence and the multiple abandoned buildings, rough roads, and war torn fields are proof. You could never tell from our hosts, which speaks volumes about their character. We reached a very small very old town atop the mountain which was surrounded by a very old wall which was used to keep out invaders. It has been dubbed "The great wall of Georgia". We ate a delicious lunch and feasted amongst new friends enjoying a view that would have made Frodo and Samwise jealous. It was a long drive back and in all it was a very interesting day which provided the opportunity to see more than just the capital.

Advertisement



8th March 2011

Boom.
Get a Grip Terry. The wall was to keep out all those grease mongols.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb