Background: The region of present-day Georgia contained the ancient kingdoms of Colchis and Kartli-Iberia. The area came under Roman influence in the first centuries AD and Christianity became the state religion in the 330s. Domination by Persians, Arabs, and Turks was followed by a Georgian golden age (11th to the 13th centuries) that was cut short by the Mongol invasion of 1236. Subsequently, the Ottoman and Persian empires competed for influence in the region. Georgia was absorbed into the Russian Empire in the 19th century. Independent for three years (1918-1921) following the Russian revolution, it was forcibly incorporated into the USSR until the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991. Despite myriad problems, some progress on market reforms and democratization has been made since then. An attempt by the government to manipulate legislative elections in November 2003 touched off widespread protests that led to the resignation of Eduard SHEVARDNADZE, president since 1995. New elections in early 2004 swept Mikheil SAAKASHVILI into power along with his National Movement Party.
Blogs from Tbilisi
Latest Blogs from Tbilisi
- April 19th 2013 Dragoman in Georgia
by Words: 6 Photos: 100
- November 9th 2012 Adventure to the far of Eastern Europe / Asia, Georgia, the beautiful surprise on my adventure.
by Words: 2230 Photos: 11
- September 30th 2012 Hospitality and Corruption
by Words: 771 Photos: 5
- August 18th 2012 Tbilisi
by Words: 439 Photos: 55
- May 29th 2012 One Night in Tbilisi .... Scarlet Sails
by Words: 1043 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2012 "Odyssey Overland" in Georgia
by Words: 4 Photos: 118
- April 13th 2012 Natan Halat in Davit Gareja
by Words: 1 Photos: 66
- April 13th 2012 Natan Halat trip to Mtskheta, Ananuri, Gori, Tbilisi.
by Words: 3 Photos: 48
- December 11th 2011 Goodbye City, Hello Village
by Words: 634 Photos: 11
- December 6th 2011 Back in the USSR
by Words: 519 Photos: 16
- December 5th 2011 These boots were made for walking ...
by Words: 505 Photos: 14
- December 4th 2011 At Long Last we are in Georgia
by Words: 484 Photos: 13
- October 16th 2011 Three days with wet feet and still the best weekend ever!
by Words: 4563 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2011 School, then no school
by Words: 2834 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 Me not guest, me family!
by Words: 3864 Photos: 0
- October 7th 2011 Home, sweet home
by Words: 2015 Photos: 0
- August 31st 2011 Tbilisi
by Words: 1254 Photos: 24
- August 4th 2011 Georgia part IV - Balconies of Tbilisi
by Words: 282 Photos: 21
- August 3rd 2011 Georgia part III - Tbilisi and around
by Words: 1577 Photos: 26
- June 30th 2011 Rock the Kazbegi
by Words: 1284 Photos: 0