The White Hand of Saruman


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Abkhazia
June 20th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I confidently wave goodbye to my hosts and step outside, hoping to catch the 1oclock marshrutka (it's 1:15) if I'm not too late. An overcast day in Sukhum(i), a few drops of rain. I've spent the morning at the museum, then at the botanical gardens, then buying stamps and other souvenirs to bribe the Abkhazia-lovers back home. Pretty full day so far. Now I need to catch a marshrutka to Gal(i), another to the "border" at Ingur(i), deal with the Russian soldiers there, walk across the bridge and into Georgia, then take a marshrutka to Zugdidi in time for the market to buy some rolling tobacco, use the internet and catch the night train to Tbilisi. A finely worked out plan and exactly enough money and time to execute it.

I'm already thinking about the opening lines for my Abkhazia blog:

In that no-man's land between sleeping and waking, I hear drunken laughter from the police staying nextdoor, then a melodious "mi-LIIIT-siya!" and crash! the door slams open and there's a drunk soldier/policeman standing there. I sit up and say "Go back to sleep. F*ck off!" (in English), and he turns and leaves. I'm too tired to be surprised so I go back to sleep. Gotta be more careful with the F word, though... it's usually the only word people know in English.

Yes, that's probably the most exciting thing that's happened so far. That, and the border guards trying to steal my leatherman and asking for my sleeping bag as a padarka. Friggin Amateurs. Abkhazia is dangerous? It's mostly deserted and the signs of civil war are visible in nearly all the buildings in Sukhum(i) and in the countryside further south (14 years on). But dangerous? Danger is my middle name! I eat danger for breakfast! Now.. if I can only bully the border guards into letting me keep my "visa"...

A maroon Lada Dzighuli swerves and skids to a halt right in front of me. Friggin Russians. Learn how to drive! All 4 doors open at once, and men jump out. Who was it who told me they keep the doors slightly ajar to be able to open them quicker? Too many movies. I move a little to give them room. They pounce on me: Dokumentiy! Davay! Davay! Hey! I was daydreaming! They've got me by the wrists and are trying to shove me into the maroon Lada. WTF? I wrestle my wrist free and curse in Turkish, my voice cracking with emotion (not fear). Gde vashiy dokumentiy?! I'm not getting into no unmarked car just because some fool shouted "davay" at me! I turn and start walking back towards my house (50m away), and they dream-like follow. Maybe the english-speaking young girls can translate for me, or at least tell me if these dudes are legit or mafiosi after my money. I enter the courtyard with my escort. The girls aren't around. The hostess doesn't speak english and seems cowed. So they're legit. Dokumentiy! Alright, alright! Just let me find a secluded corner to reach into my money belt without you realizing I have one... A guy sticks to me. Ok, you wait there, and I'll get your dokumentiy. He replies "blah blah ne panimayu!" I roar back: "Ya toje ne panimayu!" Now it's time for that semester of Russian to pay off: "Yesli viy militsiya... viy militsiya da?..." He doesn't let me finished and thunders: "Tiy Ruskiy znayesh!..." Tiy. Ah, the curse of a linguist... And I guess the rest: "you've been pretending to not speak Russian, but now I've figured you out you miserable piece of sh*t! You're entering a world of pain..." The hostess is watching. I can't let my last impression be one of losing face or cowering before the threat of violence. We're 5 inches apart, eye to eye, he's yelling at the top of his lungs and probably seconds away from smashing my face. Ah, the things penis complexes make us do...

A black mercedes with tinted windows pulls up and a couple of uniformed soldiers come up. Alright... now they're taking me in for sure. They motion to the car: Davay! Now, although it's been 2 years, I still haven't forgiven myself for getting into that pickup in Sudan without a fight and under only the /implied/ threat of violence. No, I'm not getting into any car. If you drag me off that's another story... Whoa! I've got 3 men grabbing me by the collar and shirt and dragging me to the car. Ok, you mean business. That's cool. One of them gets carried away and shakes his fist in my face while yanking on my shirt. I must maintain dignity: "hey hey hey!" I motion my abused shirt. One of the uniformed soldiers makes him let go. I'm on the verge of saying I'd prefer to keep my daypack with me... nevermind, put it in the trunk, it's cool. I'm in custody. You da boss.

In the car they turn to me: "Tiy Turetskiy, da?" Who, me? While under arrest in the non-existent Republic of Abkhazia? Hell no! "Nyet, ya Amerikanits." Maybe the landlady said I was Turkish. Or else their spy network really works well. Although.. I know I was doing a pretty good job blending in as Yet Another Russian Tourist.

A sigh of relief: we pull up in front of some kind of state security building. Good, so they aren't after money. Now if I can only get to the guy in charge and clear things up... There's a dude in blue tinted glasses, tall, lanky, confident. Good. He shakes my hand. "You speak English, right?" "Blah blah shto?" Crap. "Ok, U minya yest dva sumka v trunk, can we get them out too?" He motions, the bags come out. I'm placed under guard as they give The Boss the rundown. Maybe it's a classist elitist attitude, but once I'm put in touch with somebody educated and in command, I know I'll be OK. It's the zealous piyons you gotta worry about.

Next I'm placed in a room with a dude with a blank sheet of paper who's told to write down vsyo about me. Doesn't Dostoyevsky say something about being calmed by the sight of a brick wall you know you can't break? I communicate in sign language and broken Russian. I humor his every question, provide him with everything he wants to know. If only Solzhenitsyn could see me! I know this doesn't matter. The Boss will eventually show up and he's the one who's going to tell me I can go. If only I don't end up missing the last marshrutka to the border...

They want o know about my "friend." Good. At least one exists. In Turkmenistan they asked the same question but I was totally alone. "There was this English guy staying at the house. Mark. I don't know his last name. I met him in front of my kvartiri in Gal; he had come from Sukhum to change some Georgian Lari. He hooked me up with this place to stay. Said he was 48. Went to sleep early and woke up early. Didn't see much of him although we were staying in the same house." The things one can communicate in Russian under duress!

Not to say I was stressed out or afraid... No, at this point I was sure they realized they had made a mistake. Maybe the dudes in the maroon lada were overwhelmed at seeing a backpacker and things ballooned out from there. At any rate, they now have to save face somehow...

"Why are you traveling alone? Why aren't you with some young cute girl?" Are you kidding? So I can put her through this? Imagine me being dragged into an unmarked car in a non-existent country and having to look after a girl on top of it? And then all this questioning and searching? With her? No thank you. I prefer to travel solo for now. Maybe a girl in Western Europe where I'm not walking on thin ice...

A brief bag search: they want to see my "technological stuff" which consists of ipod, shortwave radio, headlamp, leatherman, hotspoon, calculator. Am I traveling light or what? We spread it out on the table. I'm keeping an eye out in case stuff disappears, but they seem very honest, and I'm relieved.

My interrogator tells me I look better clean shaven (as in my 7 year-old passport photo). I respond with my bushman photo on my fake student ID. So you're a student in Istanbul? No, not really... that's fake. I could hear the wheels churning in his head: fake ID? Why? What for? Cheaper museum tickets...

A young man and the Boss show up together. I'm still convinced the Boss speaks English, but he can't risk looking stupid if he doesn't understand me or can't express himself: he's got a piyon with him to do the translation work. The translator dude speaks phenomenal english. Some of the questions are repeated -- I say they're already written down. My interrogator gives a verbal summary of what he's gleaned so far. They're focusing on Mark now: Why was he in Abkhazia? Where did he visit in Abkhazia? Did he go to the mountains? Does he speak Georgian? Could you please repeat the circumstances of your meeting? Do you speak Georgian?

I know denial is useless: "Erti Ori Sami Okhti Khuti." I also know other common constructs such as "Puri Ar Aris, kho?" or "lari da nakhavari". But that demonstration should suffice. "Kargi" says the Boss. We're all linguists here.

There's some more questioning, but I know it's all cosmetic. I relate my version of events. I didn't get into the car because they weren't wearing uniforms, and I thought they were trying to steal my money and passport. The Boss laughs: "were you afraid?" Fear is a strong word. Lets say Concerned.

"So what are you going to do now?" Well, I was trying to go back to Georgia but thanks to you, I think I've missed the last marshrutka! "It's $30 by taxi to the border." Well, if you're paying... "If the Americans are asking us for money we're in deep trouble..." It's good to be alive. We shake hands. "Viy angliskiy znayetye, da?" A pause. "Very little." I knew it! I could tell you spoke english! Sudan has taught me something, after all. "So what was the problem?" He shakes his head and sighs: "Bad Friends." The wisdom of state security apparati. We shake hands and part as friends. Except for my missed marshrutka!




I see a dude by the side of the road... going to Gal? Yeah. Alright! Some smalltalk. He's worked in Trabzon and knows a few words in Turkish. Russian Georgian Turkish, we manage to communicate. I covet his white teeth.

A second character, with a black corduroy cap, shows up and asks us where we're going. I'm with my big pack so there's no point trying to act like I'm local. I'm going to Gal. "Oh there's the bus to Gal!" he says and moves behind my mate, who jumps a yard away. There's something fishy going on. The new guy must be a pickpocket.

In the bus he sits next to me and manages to keep his hands concealed. It's like a nightmare where you know something is about to happen but you're powerless to prevent it. In my right pocket I have 120 roubles ($5) and my passport in a plastic bag. Unlikely he'll be able to walk away with either, but it's still uncomfortable. My mate is talking to me, but it seems like he's trying to distract my attention. Or am I getting paranoid and freaking out over nothing? Arthur says I shouldn't assume everyone I come across is a f*cker.

A lady in her 30s gets on, we make eye contact and we're immediately friends. I give her my seat. The pickpocket makes room for me and so I sit down next to him again. Then he gets up and slowly works his way towards my daypack and squats next to it. After a while I notice his left hand isn't visible and he's trying hard to be inconspicuous (the way a dog is when taking a dump in public). Yup! Sure enough! He's pulled my daypack over and the zippers are open, and he's been rummaging through them. I pull him up by the collar: "Alright, that's it!" He acts hurt and surprised... me? Your bag? As if I'd ever *dream* of... My "mate" also comes to his aid... "he wouldn't do something like that..." Yeah, except I saw him do it. He tries to pick a fight with me, mocking me and being obnoxious, but if he wants a fight, I'm clearly not going to play into his hands. Now you sight down there and I'm going to stand here and clutch my daypack tightly, and keep one hand in my pocket, and miss this beautiful scenery of lush forests and bombed out houses. My friend (the woman) makes eye contact; I smile and shrug. What can I do? She rearranges her purse and moves her cell phone to an inner pocket and zips it up. I smile broadly and she smiles back. The pickpocket "secretly" talks to my "mate". I assume they're working on a plan of action and discussing my weak spot. I'm fully aware of it: I'm going to have to get off to switch buses in the middle of nowhere, and I'm no match for even one of them (well.. I could take on the pickpocket any day).

The pickpocket gets off and gives me the finger. I hurriedly go through my back again; did he mean he made off with something? No. Good. Give me the finger all you want, fool. We pass the intersection to Gal. My "mate" is asleep so I get off alone. 20 minutes later there's a bus heading to Gal. Deliver us from evil!

The rest of the story is downhill... I get to Zugdidi, but after the market closes. And today's events seem like an overelaborate plot to keep me from buying tobacco....



Advertisement



27th June 2007

You may as well try to be a little more sympathetic to the secularists ozgur can, considering you would be one of the first people kicked out of the country if the religious fundamentalists got their way. Remember the muslims are the capitalists now, they are the ones backing all this privatization shit and selling off infrastructure to foreign countries. And as a woman it is fucking unbearable to have to deal with all this sexual repression and tsk tsk tsk and "gotunu sikiiim anam" from the sex-crazedness that comes with islam. You even get it being a pretty boy. Its like all this haram stuff makes the whole male (and female) population completely pornographically minded every moment of the day. Maybe if they saw a few more mini skirts they would get used to it and not act like pigs.
28th June 2007

to: secularist ceylan
All I'm saying is that the "secular"s need to learn to be tolerant of other peoples' views. The "fundamentalists" (contrary to popular belief) actually are more tolerant than the "progressive"s. It's the "progressives" who are telling people what they can and can't wear... and, we both know that an "okuz" is not the same as a fundamentalist. In fact, a fundamentalist wouldn't say "gotunu sikiim anam"... although maybe he'd say "tsk tsk tsk"... but then, YOU would say "tsk tsk tsk" if you saw someone in a yemeni-style "charshaf". So... lets all try to be more understanding of others. And, paranthetically, I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! ;)
1st July 2007

discussion is a bit off, but my 2 cents
The fundamentalists or islamists have the nice way of representing themselves repressed by the secularists. I wished that you had the chance to have a closer look to them and what they'd do when they have the means. I know of a big company in Istanbul which required all of its male employes to have a mustage, to go to a mosque on Fridays, fest in Ramazan - they will basically leave no time for lunch, automatically cut a part of your sallary to get subscribed to an islamic newspaper, periodically give you Quran interpretations and other Islamic publications, gather money from the employees for sacrifices in Kurban Bayrami with no opt out. Same goes for peers in school: few class mates of mine were not looking/talking at girls at all in school or shaking their hands when they saw them somewhere. I was very understanding to religious females until they started inviting me to readings of Quran (maybe I should have held sessions to secularize them). Unfortunatly when you are not in touch with the culture, it's very easy to accept what's projected: secularists do not have an understanding for the poor religious people -- who only want to wear something different. Do not forget that those secularists are also 100% muslims (I have not seen a godless or ateist person in Turkey, everybody is born with it, it's in the culture). For the understanding: I have not seen a religious family daughter unveil themselves (they'd probably will be expelled), but I have seen lots of religious girls surpassing their families' religion level. And have seen many girls in their 12s with "bas ortusu". Did they have a choice or the brains to do that? Also have seen lot's of girls denied the right to enter the exams and attend university and being wed right after highschool by their families. That's why I'd say tsk tsk when I see a female with a charsaf, because that represents a person who did not have the chance to not wear it or this person did not have the chance choosing for themselves, go to university, get a profession or other. Carshaf is nothing else but the Islamic way of "binding feet". It's very good that you see many countries, but maybe you should spend some time in the varos'es (not Bagdat caddesi) of country which you sometime (when it's good for you) your choose to identify yourself with.
2nd July 2007

Fesupanallah
What an exciting discussion! Why is it that all secularists sound like each other and don't have any original ideas? Also, why do they preach from a pedestal when their only philosophy in life is to imitate Westerners and have no self-respect? I highly recommend using the brain God (in his mercy) has given you, instead of purchasing all your ideas wholesale from one man (I think it is understood who) that is no longer living and probably wished for something more than a country full of people with their knuckles pathetically dragging on the ground, however pleasant their clean-shaved faces or their bare heads may look. Imagine the future of a 6 year-old schoolboy who is embarrassed of his nationality and apologetically lets everyone in school order him around and takes pride in serving them. Not so pretty. Put up at least some resistance before comfortably settling down to shine my boots. And I want them extra shiny today.
3rd July 2007

Your fun is over
As a gay man and a gay journalist I find it highly doubtful that an individual who does not even know how to spell 'bedridden' can have anything enlightening to communicate to the civilized world. Plus if he really is 'bedridden' (not bedreddin, thank you kindly) how is he able to travel to Sudan, Ethiopia, Palestine, Armenia, and all these other exotic places? I could almost believe him until I came to the part where he mentions his trip to Georgia. My friend, Georgia is one of the 50 states of this great nation, not a sovereign country of its own. That's point numero uno. Second point; you can take that "erti, ori" and whatever other crap you made up and stick it up your 12 year-old, bedridden ass. It might not seem obvious to some at first - because of the way those dumb bimbos at the airport talk- but they do speak ENGLISH in Georgia, not some fairy tale language called Georgian. That's right, my man, E-N-G-L-I-S-H. Now, descending back down to Planet Earth from our little trip to LA-LA LAND, I have this to say to all of you: leave this 12 year-old son of a bee-sting to cook in the hot place, and return to normalcy in your lives. He's been getting all of you worked up about religion, and history, and the injustice in the world, meanwhile he has another open window of his browser with the URL set to www.GAY.com and if you were in the room with him, all you would see would be his right hand going up and down, up and down. For any of you who don't like my tone with this kid, or my choice of words, I can only say this to you; try to resist the temptation to be homophobic. I'm a gay man and a gay journalist, and I say it as it is. As for you bedridden punk, I heard there's a new Harry Potter movie coming out, so lift your pants up from around your ankles and get to it.
3rd July 2007

to Doug
You rock. This comment had me laughing out loud! ;) BTW, can we *please* post these religion/secularism related comments on the "Eastern Express" blog (where they belong)? This blog is supposed to be for me to brag about how well I deal with bureaucracy. BTW, to the secularists: there was a suicide attack on some spanish tourists in Yemen yesterday... this is what happens when you take away the peaceful options, and the democratic path to freedom.. you get blind rage and violence. But then... I know no-one will wise up and they'll just say "They Hate Our Freedoms!"
3rd July 2007

good to hear your thoughts!
Hi Ozgur, I don't personally know you but we have a common friend. I was reading parts of your diary and also your replies to the various comments left about your diary, and for some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that I'm hearing our friend speaking through you at times. I would know, because I have spent many late hours staying up and conversing with him. I know he has a habit of getting into your head, and sometimes even confuses your mind a tad bit. Anyways, I just wanted to give you a shot out, and was curious about whether my theory that our common friend helped you write part of this was true. I'll ask him when I meet him tonight. By the way, I've been talking about him all this time without even mentioning his name. His name is Jack, although his good friends call him John. His last name is Daniels. Thank you very much for your time.
28th August 2007

um, what?
Dangger, wtf on earth are you going on about? how the hell does being gay, a gay journalist, a gay secularist or a non-gay non-secular journalist whatever the fuck have to do with ANYTHING expect your fragile ego? In any event, great fucking blog bedreddin, you are a lucky bastard to be in a position to do it, but i have a feeling you know that. keep pumpin it out.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb