Shaoxing


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
China's flag
Asia » China
March 1st 2012
Saved: October 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DSCF1182DSCF1182DSCF1182

Fried potato slices with chilli
We went to Shaoxing for a weekend back in December and found some great places to eat and heaps of little cafes on cang qiao heritage street. We didn’t get pics at the time (remembered the train tickets, but forgot the camera), but it turned out for the best, because the restaurants we tried here were so good it was a great excuse to come back. It’s about half an hour south on the train from Hangzhou, famous for rice wine and stinky tofu. (I left the latter off the orders!) It's also where the write Lu Xun lived so there's a bit of a tourist hub surrounding his old house.

The first restaurant is Shan Zhai YuTou Wang (mountain village fishhead king?!) a Southern minority restaurant. They had pictures of the longji rice terraces on the wall, which is where we went last october in Guangxi province for national week. Picture menu with recommended dishes in.

70s restaurant has a similar feel to Green Tea in Hangzhou. It has a tick box menu with translations - the recommended dishes are excellent, they have a thumbs up signs by them. BBQ pork is a must. They have rice steamers around the room where you can fill up your bowl for free.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

15th July 2012

Nice post
I like Shaoxing. I lived in Shanghai for a couple of years and I took the train down to Shaoxing a few times to just walk around the city center and enjoy the pleasant, smallish town atmosphere. The people there are friendly, and not at all aggressive or confrontational as they are in some other similar sized towns. The food is outstanding and the train station is a pleasant stroll from the city center... had I not had to stay in Shanghai to be near the office I would have lived and studied there. I am planning a trip back after having not been in China for 7 years, and Shaoxing is high on my list. Thanks for the interesting read and pictures!

Tot: 0.573s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb