Xian and the Terra Cota Warriors


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
May 24th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As soon as we got to the hotel we asked about getting to the Terra Cota Warriors. We were concerned because our flight to Yichang was to leave at 4:50pm with a 1-1/2 hour drive to the airport. The concerige suggested that we rent a car for the day and the driver could drive us to the airport saving 1/2 hour in travel time.
We got an early start and went straight to the mausoleum where the emperor is thought to be burried. The findings verify that the ground is full of mercury, hence no digs have been completed there. Around the perimiter however they have found the graves of the emperor's ministers and concubines who would have followed him to his grave by custom.
The warriors are about 20 minutes away but I wanted Mike to see both in order to have a understanding of the distance the Warriors are.
We followed the guide book in this instance and started with the Pit 3 first, then Pit 2 where excavations have only scratched the surface and there is much to go. The last Pit 1 is the largest excavated to date hence the most exciting. It is always a thrill to see the warriors and I was so happy to share that experience with Mike. The warriors are encased in dirt so excavation is slow and exacting. Seeing them close up gives the perspective on the efforts both in their making and excavating.
Since the last time I visited them more have been unearthed. Unfortunately my battery on my big camera died at the end but it was a thrill to take photos and see them again.
We did catch our flight to Yichang and had a very yummy snack. We were given a little box containing a dinner roll, a sweet muffin and a cucumber. I ate the cucumbers while Mike ate the muffins.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb