I dreamed that I saw Dali


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
December 1st 2007
Published: December 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DaliDaliDali

An tired old building leans over
...with a supermarket trolley (U2 1990)

'I'm not getting in that' Alan said, looking at the stuck together with sellotape mini-van, crammed full of smoking people, coughing non-smoking people, luggage, sacks, chickens. I felt for him - the nightclub outside our window had wound down at eight am, and it was now nine am. Imagine Busáras. Now take away the glamour. That was the bus station.

'I want to get on a plane to Bangkok.'

He looked so sad, so tired. All he had talked about in the taxi was the five hour sleep he planned on the bus. And now, it seemed a little unlikely.

The hagglers, chancers, uniformed workers, all conspired to coax us onboard. Bewildered we sat there, as the aforementioned tried to wedge as many people as possible onboard. Intermittently ladies ventured on with bowls of freshly steamed corn on the cob, hard boiled eggs and newspapers. Eventually the driver and the hagglers shrugged and we took off.

As the bus chugged and bumped its way down the road, the young hypochondriac in front of me bashed three glass vials separately off the window frame, slugging back the sharp smelling contents before
3 pagodas3 pagodas3 pagodas

One of the smaller pagodas from its base
flinging them out the window. She then neatly peeled two boiled eggs. The smell of egg and eucalyptus mingled in my nose. Thankfully, the road surface smoothed and my iPod entertained. Further entertainment ensued with many pit-stops for noodles and rice, the driver visibly concerned when I didn't join in (Chinese people love to eat - and they are so thin. For a few weeks I tried eating lots, hoping I would get thinner, but unfortunately on the Irish constitution this does not seem to work), and the extra passengers the driver shirtily pushed in on the sly - one of whom was very dodgy and seated beside the hypocondriac, which added greatly to my amusement - he hacked and she shuddered.

Arriving in Dali we were very underwhelmed until we realised that it wasn't Dali at all, it was 'new' Dali. To be honest 'new' Dali is a bit awful, reminding me of the Northside Shopping Centre without the roof and jaunty radio jingle.

Old Dali though is amazing. First off it is pedestrianised (yay!) and second off it is maintained as an old Chinese town. Mountains loom to the left, while shimmering Erhai lake lies to
Delicious fresh foodDelicious fresh foodDelicious fresh food

This worked a bit like pick&mix - you select anything you like the look of and it's cooked up for you on the spot!
the right (great Feng Shui apparently). Beautiful walled cobbled streets, wooden houses with sloping roofs that peak at the end, bedecked with dragons, lotus flowers and such things. Water bubbling through the roads, mountain streams diverted originally to act as a sewerage system, now a beautiful sonorous accompaniment to the tourists' wanderings.

It's a real Tourists' Haven - many of the old houses now act as craft shops, in the style of Dingle or Galway. The people of the region are 'Bai' and wander the streets acting as tour guides and entertainers wearing the native clothes (which weirdly enough remind me of the style in Ireland a few years ago - like white combat trousers with flower patterns down the outside - although the hats haven't hit the high streets yet - very ornate and perched high on the head). To my delight, side-street upon street of cafés flank the centre drag. An old lady hounded Alan here, following him saying 'smokey - grass - hashish-y', knitting all the time.

Many people objected to the cost of the Three Pagodas (it was 12 euro) but we decided to go in - it was a gorgeous day, and we
The walls of Old DaliThe walls of Old DaliThe walls of Old Dali

The clouds lay like a blanket on the hills all day
had travelled all the way to Dali, it seemed worth it to pay the few quid in. I think it is probably a bit expensive, and yet we had a fantastic time, as all the other tourists stood outside tutting at the expense, we had the entire complex to ourselves, so we spent hours wandering around, exploring the never-ending temple complex and getting higher above the city as we walked.

Dali was refreshing to us as we had spent most of our time in big cities, and blue skies, fields, clean air, smell of greenery, sound of birds - the things we're used to in Ireland, I suppose - were glorious and we ponced around like Wordsworth.








Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Noodle manNoodle man
Noodle man

A noodle chef pounds the dough. It's pretty entertaining watching these guys at work.
DaliDali
Dali

The East Gate
DaliDali
Dali

Aoife throws shapes in a nicely restored part of town
DaliDali
Dali

Pleasant mountain streams rush through the streets
Bamboo manBamboo man
Bamboo man

Fresh bike-powered bamboo right to your doorstep!
The 3 PagodasThe 3 Pagodas
The 3 Pagodas

Overlooking the lake
3 pagodas3 pagodas
3 pagodas

Or two of them anyway - the large central one and a smaller one. They have been partially restored but the original buildings date from the 9th century.
DaliDali
Dali

This is the second biggest devotional urn Alan has ever seen
DaliDali
Dali

Temple eaves on a clear day
Quiet sentinelQuiet sentinel
Quiet sentinel

A bronze lion keeps watch over the Old Town
Farm workersFarm workers
Farm workers

Outside the city walls with a view of Lake Erhai in the distance
Old townOld town
Old town

Ramshackle buildings - we loved all the greenery growing on the roofs.
Old stone buildingOld stone building
Old stone building

This put us in mind of the houses we saw in an abandoned famine village on Achill Island
Don't worry about your telephoneDon't worry about your telephone
Don't worry about your telephone

It's safely defended by the scenic area


Tot: 0.632s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 112; dbt: 0.1376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb