Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Putuoshan
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Putuoshan
Latest Blogs from Putuoshan
- October 14th 2011 Being a Buddhist is too much work... Pt 2.
by Words: 1007 Photos: 4
- October 13th 2011 Being a Buddhist is too much work...
by Words: 645 Photos: 10
- October 11th 2011 A couple days away...
by Words: 618 Photos: 4
- July 3rd 2010 Red Panda Peekaboo WILL Make You Smile
by Words: 2072 Photos: 14
- October 30th 2009 Buddhism and Baijou
by Words: 1558 Photos: 0
- October 21st 2009 Pilgrimage to Putuoshan
by Words: 682 Photos: 8
- July 13th 2009 Putuoshan
by Words: 802 Photos: 20
- July 13th 2009 More Putuoshan Pictures
by Words: 10 Photos: 16
- October 2nd 2008 普陀山: The Beautiful White Flower Mountain
by Words: 2286 Photos: 11
- June 2nd 2008 Putuo Shan
by Words: 93 Photos: 43
- September 6th 2007 Putuoshan: Island Fever
by Words: 1086 Photos: 20
- January 31st 2006 Putuoshan
by Words: 42 Photos: 15
- January 23rd 2006 The island of Putuoshan
by Words: 383 Photos: 19