The Great Wall
Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from The Great Wall
Latest Blogs from The Great Wall
- April 15th 2013 Seen from Space?
by Words: 1140 Photos: 87
- April 11th 2013 "On devient homme seulement à partir du moment que l'on foule la Grande Murale"
by Words: 336 Photos: 10
- December 27th 2012 China
by Words: 38 Photos: 54
- November 12th 2012 Our day on The Great Wall - Mutianyu
by Words: 677 Photos: 1
- September 8th 2012 Really Great
by Words: 138 Photos: 0
- September 3rd 2012 La grande muraille
by Words: 471 Photos: 6
- April 17th 2012 Day 18: Great Wall of Climbing
by Words: 1417 Photos: 8
- December 19th 2011 Great Wall of China
by Words: 600 Photos: 9
- August 24th 2011 Second Night in Beijing
by Words: 498 Photos: 10
- August 7th 2011 Shedhead!
by Words: 504 Photos: 2
- July 30th 2011 the great wall
by Words: 96 Photos: 22
- October 19th 2010 Great Wall
by Words: 5 Photos: 14
- October 5th 2010 The Great Wall
by Words: 396 Photos: 38
- September 22nd 2010 The Great Wall
by Words: 494 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2010 长城 The Great Wall!
by Words: 75 Photos: 18
- July 12th 2010 Climb, Climb, Climb and more climb
by Words: 1725 Photos: 5
- June 28th 2010 The wall
by Words: 175 Photos: 3
- June 11th 2010 Happy World Cup Day!
by Words: 939 Photos: 9
- June 9th 2010 One Perfect Day
by Words: 338 Photos: 9
- January 22nd 2010 Finally a stable interenet connection, and its in the middle of nowhere.
by Words: 858 Photos: 7