Qingyang Taoist Temple


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
December 3rd 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Guarding the entranceGuarding the entranceGuarding the entrance

devotee's and travellers beware

So we headed to Qingyang Taoist Temple a couple of weekends ago.
It looked like a pretty small complex on the outside but it was quite a big area inside. It was a really nice place to take a walk, look at some Taoist temples and spend a lazy afternoon.

I don't really know much about Taoism so it would of been useful to have an English speaking guide with us. I did however enjoy it anyway as the grounds were beautiful and it was really relaxing. There was quite a few temples representing the gods of Taoism (Dao ism), lots of places to send blessings (incense burners) and a beautiful Pagoda surrounded by autumn tree's in the middle.

There was also the nicest old lady walking round each Taoist God doing her three posture's. I think three is auspicous as the incense is usually placed in three's as well. There seemed to be a lot of local's there as well as a number of Chinese tourists taking some memory snaps.

Even though the place was right of a busy main road, inside you could not tell at all. It felt like you were
Taoist templeTaoist templeTaoist temple

lots of colours
completely out of the city. Very good place to go if you need a break from the hustle and bustle of Chengdu. At the back of the complex there were alot of people selling chinese paintings and one artist was very pleased to show off her English skills. She knew the English name's of the flowers in some of her paintings and wanted to double check her pronunciation. I bought two paintings from her at a bargain price. I also got a couple more from another artist. When we saw the first artist on the way out she asked us how much we paid for our other purchase's and gestured that she would of sold us work for less.

I will have to go there to get more paintings before I leave as some of them were lovely.
I will definetly go there again as it is not very far from my flat. Very nice place to go on a quiet day.

Info for fellow travellers:

Ticket price for entrance:

To grounds: 5rmb
To grounds inc tea: 15rmb

How to get there: Just on the 1st ring road and not far from Jinli or Dufu's Cottage the temple is in the West of Chengdu. It is off the main road so a whole heap of buses will go there.

Value for money:
15 rmb is worth it for the entrance and the tea. The grounds are beautiful and the tea is pretty good. There is also a chance to buy beautiful paintings. There was a vegetarian restuarant which I didn't try but I am sure it is good.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb