A few more Shanghai Scenes


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 5th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before describing my trip to Tibet, I thought I'd add a few more photos of Shanghai.

The first ones are of the new Yangshan deep-water port located south of Shanghai, which I visited with a group from the Cercle Francophone the day before leaving for Tibet. According to Wikepedia, this mammoth port was "built to circumvent growth limitations for the Port of Shanghai as a result of shallow waters...and is capable of handling the largest container ships today. The port achieves this by building on the offshore islands of Greater and Lesser Yangshan (part of the Zhoushan archipelago), which have been amalgamated by land reclamation and connected to the mainland via the Donghai Bridge, the latter of which was opened on 1 December 2005 as the third-longest bridge in the world at 32.5 km in length."

The second group of photos relates to a guided walk I did today with the American Women's Club through the lanes of Shikumen houses in what used to be the "British Concession" of Shanghai. Most of this neighborhood has already vanished. The rest of it is soon to be demolished, giving rise to yet another modern building complex and also to the construction of the new line 13 of the Shanghai metro system.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb